Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im working on my 4bt swap and I'm up to the point of needing a clutch. I have the ford bread van manual flywheel, and have viewed the thread on the comparisons between the two flywheels. I am using a Chevy trans and was wondering what pressure plate to ask for when I go to the auto parts store. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
784 Posts
Napa number 1104140 for a 1990 p-30 with 3.9l diesel.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys,
Jeff one question, are the bolts the attach the pressure plate evenly spaced are they in 3 groups of 2?

I have a very unusual flywheel. According to the cast number it is a ford flywheel, 3906613 but accord to the measurements it is the thickness of a Chevy.

My bolts are 6 even spaced bolts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Did some checking on the napa 1104140 and it appears to be an 1 1/16 input? but its listed for chevy p30 with 3.9 diesel.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
1-1/16: x 10 spline is a Ford. Six evenly spaced mounting bolts + 1-1/8" x 10 spline is GM of which the 6.2L diesel or 454 engine NORMALLY fit.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob

Tried a clutch pressure plate from a 80' 454 and the bolt holes were about a 1/8 larger diameter. They were equally spaced just slightly larger pattern. The flywheel I have has the ford cast number, and pilot bearing hole size, but is the chevy thickness. Im afraid its going to require alot of buggin the parts guy at NAPA. I did try the clutch kit that dieseldude suggested, and the pressure plate was correct,,, so at worse case I will buy that kit and dig up a disc that has the correct splines.... I would like to find a kit that has all the correct pieces over the counter if anyonw else has had this problem and can supply me a part number.

This kit was for a p30 with 3.9 and used a 11" clutch, am I going to be ok with a 11" clutch?

Thanks

·
Registered
784 Posts
I have had an 11" in mine for 10 years no problems. It was just a small block chevy clutch I don't have any numbers.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
I just went out and physically checked what I have as removed from some of the step vans:

The Ford/Borg Warner 11" set up:
Pressure plate: LUK #98202 This has a "dual mounting pattern" for either the 3 pairs or 6 evenly spaced mounting bolt pattern.
Clutch Disk: LUK #76500 11" x 1-1/16" x 10 splines

The GM/SM 465 12" set up:
Pressure plate: LUK #99400 This has the standard mounting pattern that GM used on the V8's clear back into the 1960's.
Clutch disk: LUK #97501 11-15/16" OD friction surface x 1-1/8" x 10 splines. Important NOTE the outside diameter.

If you ever need to use a Chevy disk with the Ford/BW set up the one from a 68 V8 with the 11" clutch fits perfectly inside of the Ford/BW dual pattern pressure plate.

All the GM location mounting holes [6 evenly spaced ones] are all the same mounting diameter to accept 3/8" fastening bolts.

BTW, my local NAPA guy was having clutch problems with his S10 delivery truck. After 1 new and 2 warranty NAPA replacements he installed a Luk brand set and has not had any problems since then.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Napa brand is now supplied by luk. In Colorado any way.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Problem may be solved. My napa auto parts is pretty good to deal with, he has got me a kit with the correct pressure plate and wrong disc, but is going to swap disc with me to get the correct one. The pressure plate is the diaphragm type not the 3 finger type so I will have to be careful with the selection of a throw out bearing. I'm using one of the gm hybrid bell housing from the 80's that has the dual pattern and external Hyd clutch slave cylinder. When I confrim all of this works together I will post napa numbers in case anyone else has this problem.

·
Administrator
4,157 Posts
All of the step van pressure plates that I have removed to date were all the RAISED DIAPHRAGM style for both the GM & Ford applications.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For what it's worth, and for anyone that might have the same issues later Napa got me a clutch kit #110727 and a valeo disc with napa # nd3348. This is a diaphragm type pressure plate and a 11" disc. I will post some pics later. Thanks for the replies.

Edit: the napa kit 1107027 pressure plate kits comes with 5 different pilot bearings/bushings one of them is ford outside dia and Chevy inside dia. Wish I had known that before I spent 2 hours on my old lathe making a reducing bushing for the 6302 bearing.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
For What its worth

Napa clutch kit 1107027 and disc nd3348

comes with a pilot bushing reducer so the ford flywheel can be used with the chevy transmission input shaft, there were about 5-6 pilot adapters included with this pressure plate

just had alot of issues get the correct parts togather, hope it might help someone in the future.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
the disc # nd3348 comes up but the clutch kit # 110727 comes up as a "Tool Tray" ,i have that 3906613 flywheel ,and as much as would prefer a 12" clutch if this can get me on the road i might consider it;

·
Registered
238 Posts
Thanks guys,
Jeff one question, are the bolts the attach the pressure plate evenly spaced are they in 3 groups of 2?

I have a very unusual flywheel. According to the cast number it is a ford flywheel, 3906613 but accord to the measurements it is the thickness of a Chevy.

My bolts are 6 even spaced bolts
thats the same thing im dealing with now, there is so much great info on this site ,but im not a computer guy ,i kinda get lost jumping around from one post to another , but soon i will drive away in my 82' chevy K20 4BTA powered trail truck and it will be worth every second i've spent here researching my swap ,"THANKS TO ALL WHO HAVE REPLIED TO MY ?s,

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
11 to 10-15/16 is only a 1/16th of an inch. The thickness of the disc is more important and according to my NAPA guy he matched that disc to that pressure plate.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts