Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a clutch anyone know where I can get a nice clutch heavy duty, what is everyone running and recomending thanks again for the answers.:beer:

·
Registered
292 Posts
what transmission combo are you running. personally i call southbend with any of my diesels anymore but a std luk or luk gold will work well also. but it all depends on your application

remember the bigger the dampener in the center of the disk the better its life behind a diesel disks with lots of meat but small dampeners dont faire as well.. example the stock 94-2002 dodge 12.25" diam clutch has more disk surface material than the 1989-93 13" and the 2000-2005 6spd 13" disk but has a smaller dampener and hub, the 13" clutches have a thinner (width wise) strip of material around them so less surface area of material but have a much larger dampener and hub as a result. The upgrade if you are towing over 8000lbs with a 94-2002 dodge is to have the flywheel redrilled to take the 13" disk/ clutch assembly ...................

·
Registered
256 Posts
With a SBF pattern I assume?

Just for some extra info, the last years (Feb 94 till 1997MY) of the 5.8 in F250/350s, have an 11.5" clutch which has extra damping springs in the center. The flywheel on those particular trucks is counterbored to make room for the extra damping springs too. Not sure if this(counterboring) could be done to make it work with a 4BT/Ford flywheel?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
A word of warning on LUK discs: I ordered one for my install and when it came I could not believe what a piece of junk it was! More than 2/3 of the friction pads were improperly riveted and the center section was entirely out of alignment. It was spec'd for a 6BT and probably would have scattered VERY quickly. The parts guy was almost speechless when I showed him and then all the parts guys came and had a look. They were amazed because LUK had a good reputation. This was the model with ceramic pads. Worst I've ever seen so be warned, take a CLOSE look before you lay your money down.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just called southbend clutch they are clueless of the 4bt anyone have any part numbers or clutch sizes i have a ford flywheel to a zf 5 speed thanks for helping me out

·
Registered
267 Posts
What about the center force clutch?

·
Registered
329 Posts
centerforce

They are counter intuitive for diesel applications. They clamp harder at higher rpms, great for something turning 6 or 7 grand... Not great for something that makes its peak power at 1500 rpm. It will just slip and wear you pressure plate.

Bump for South Bend CLutch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts