Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking for part #'s for a cobra Head type downpipe for my HY35. I would appreciate any help. Or if you have one for sale please let me know.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
First question would be which HY35W do you have? The standard HY35W showed up in the 2000-2002 Cummins 24 valve Dodges. Looks very similar to an HX35W only it has a 9cc turbine housing. The HY35W Type D came along in 2003-2004 and has a different compressor housing. This is is often incorrectly referred to as an HE341 which it is not. The 2 styles have totally different exhaust outlets. The early style has a back plate and outlet same as the HX30W/HX35W. Not sure that any cobra head exhaust exists for that one. There is a Cummins 90 deg elbow for that plate which is part # 3959261. See photo below. That may be about as compact as a cobra head. On the Type D turbo, you can fit the HX40W cobra head with an adapter. The flange on the Type D is odd and no other outlet pipe fits it. Below is a photo showing how that setup looks. If this is going on a 4bt you should be aware that is not a good turbo for these engines. A 4bt just doesn't spool that HX35W size compressor very well. In combo with that 9cc turbine housing the EGT tends to be fairly high. A HX30W or Super HX30W is a far superior turbo for a 4bt.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure which turbo I have . The Data tag has been removed. How can I verify the turbo type?

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
It's easy to tell which you have just by looking at it. The standard HY35W is show in the first 2 photos below. As I mentioned, it looks basically like a HX35W with a 9cc turbine housing. The HY35W Type D looks like an HE351cw with the compressor outlet elbow cast as part of the housing and the large open 9cc turbine housing as shown in the second 2 photos. Should also note that the 2 different styles are clocked differently since they use different exhaust manifolds. Changing the clocking of the compressor is not easy since the waste gate controller is attached to the compressor housing. The two different exhaust manifolds are shown in the last 2 photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Charles. Although I was told my turbo is a HY35 it does not look like any of those you have shown above.....perhaps it is a HX30W

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Yes, that does look like an HX30W which would be a very good turbo for the 4bt. If you had a measurement for the front portion of the compressor wheel I could possibly tell you the part number of that turbo. On that style turbo the inducer portion of the wheel measured either 40, 42, or 44 mm. It is more likely to be the 40 or 44. I see the issue for why you are looking for a cobra head. How much space is there from the turbo exhaust flange to the firewall? I see you have another issue. You're trying to use that 1st gen Dodge crossover pipe. Your turbo compressor housing has the V band type flange which does not go with that pipe. The industrial HX30W had the slip joint flange that would mate to the crossover pipe. Below are photos of your style turbo and the industrial style. if you're determined to use that crossover pipe, you'll either have to modify the turbo flange or make a custom adapter which can be done. Member Eggman has made the straight outlet pieces. That still doesn't help the exhaust outlet issue. From what I see your vehicle has plenty of hood clearance. You could have used a different exhaust manifold and placed the turbo farther forward and on top. Here is a photo of another tight 90 elbow for that turbo but it still needs at least 3+" to clear.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Charles, I am not sure what the "front portion of the compressor whee" or "inducer portion of the wheel" is...I would be happy to measure it though. How much clearance does a Cobra Head down pipe require?....I switched manifolds for a Steed Speed which gives me 4" between the firewall and the back of the turbo; I am not sure if I am going to keep the intake horn, with the new exhaust manifold it no longer lines up and would need some modifying.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
If you have 4" the 3959261 elbow might clear but it's probably going to be a fraction too big. I used to have one of those but some light fingered thief wanted it more. Here's a listing for one on ebay including one clamp for $70 including shipping. That's pretty cheap as a new one is over twice that. He shows measurements in all directions except the one you need to know. Might contact that seller and see it he can measure it. Cummins Part # 3959261 Connection Exhaust Outlet Elbow Pipe | eBay The 3910992 elbow is a bit iffy. Seems we have a member who used one of those not long ago but can't remember who right now. There is a company named Turbonetics that has some cobra head style elbows. They have a 3" one but don't know if that fits the Holset flange which is slightly over 3". I also don't know if that 3" on their unit is ID or OD. Theirs is engineered to fit their specific turbos so that one is an unknown. Would need to see an engineered drawing for exact measurements. It's also a bit pricey at $299. You may end up having a muffler shop take a tight 90 stainless elbow and weld a flange onto it to fit the turbo. Here's a link to Turbonetics. Exhaust Elbow Kit | Turbonetics Performance
Not sure how you're going to compensate for that offset to the intake pipe. You know, Cummins has a complete setup using that turbo in a top position. Just doesn't have that pipe with the word "Dodge" on it. Their option TB9400. See drawing.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Charles would you know the part number for #13
Cummins TB9400 drawing.jpg

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have one like the one in the second picture. New never used. I can measure and send pictures if you want
That would be great Blackwater. I would like to know the min. distance between the V- flange and the firewall.
Thanks, Karl

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Karl, are you speaking about the cobra head fitting like the photo below? If so, that won't fit your HX30W. That one is part 3927862 and fits the HX40W. The exhaust inlet is at least one inch larger and it fits a 4" exhaust pipe. I have a brand new one lying under my work bench gathering dust and rust. They used to make an adapter plate for the HX30/HX35 that would mate to it but it disappeared years ago.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Charles,
In post #9 you mentioned Cummins elbow #3959261 & 3910992 and Turbonetics, and your thinking was the max. clearance needed was larger then 4" or the flange was to small to fit the HX30W. So I was curries about the clearance of the 3927862. In the images it seems as though the back of the elbow would be thinner do to that "crush" look.
I found this adapter at CPP: AREA DIESEL SERVICE 12445 HX35 TO HX40 FLANGE ADAPTER

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
I see what you're looking at. Here is a side profile view of that cobra head. We know that round portion slides inside a 4" exhaust pipe so it has to be at least that or maybe 1/4" more because of the lip on there for he pipe. The when you account for the adapter which is probably at least and inch or so you're up to 5"+ total. Sort of ran out of room again. There might be a way that setup could work by reversing the turbo with the exhaust facing forward as longs as it clears the alternator. In fact, all the other adapters we've mentioned would likely work that way. The problem there is it screws up the air outlet plumbing location. That cobra head and turbo were actually mounted that way on some 6ct engines. Seems any way we fix one problem it creates a new one.

PS. I sent a message to Turbonetics in CA to find out if their unit would fit your turbo. I suspect no, but it's worth checking.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Fixing Problems & Creating New One's has been the story line behind this build....three steps forward & two steps back.
The firewall does not go all the way down to the frame rail & the floor board climes up to meet the firewall at/or around the steering colum. I am hopfull that the "cobra Head" might fit in the because the top portion is narrower then the bottom, but I don't know.

·
Registered
11,520 Posts
Seeing the view from that angle throws out another possible. There is a down pipe that was found on the WH1C turbo which will bolt right up to the HX30W. If it doesn't hit the firewall it would work perfectly. Here shows on on a turbo. As you can see it is angled. I have one of those in my parts pile. The second photo is the one I have and show a side view.

Attachments

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
418 Posts
Just to clearify. A wh1c was never offered on a 1st gen dodge. Only was availible on the 1st year of the 2nd gen dodge in 1994. Nor was that elbow ever on a 1st gen. The 1994 & newer 2nd gen is where that elbow was from.
Hope that helps clear that up if your looking for one.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts