Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the 4bt's don't have a glow plug system, but this might be a stupid question...how bad is it starting them in the winter (for the nothern cold climate guys).

I had a diesel landcruiser with a shot glow plug system and that thing sucked in the winter. I had to plug the damn thing in every night!

·
Registered
329 Posts
They are very resiliant motors. Ive seen two start in sub freezing weather with no more struggle to start than an 80 degree day.

No exaggeration!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find that amazing! Especially with no pre-heating system. I'd think that would cause more wear on the engine.

That's good to hear though! Even though I'm headstrong with the swap, I was getting kind of weary living up here in New England. Our winters vary so much. One year we can have no snow and regular single digit high temps and the next year we get 50" of snow and a median high of 26F.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I am new here but I think some of these engines have a heater grid in the intake manifold. Maybe someone can post a pic of one so we know what to look for.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Not sure how it is made. I believe it is the same thing that is used on the 6bt. Id like to know more about it. Hope someone will post a pic.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well that's good to hear. So there's no pre-heating element or system other than a block heater (which I assume was an option on these engines)?

I was looking at your page on the ranger last night. Very nice build by the way!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The 4Bt & 4BTA has a block heaters ,now if you have a BTA just remove the spacer block from the intake horn and install a heater grid from a late 12v or 24 and hook up the grid.

Or remove the intake plate and cut down a 12v and weld up a seam .

or just use your block heater.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Block heater and the air intake heater grid work like a charm here in South Dakota during winters, winter temps in the sub-zero near arctic range even...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Can you guys give more info on putting a grid heater on (4bta) do you wire it to a push button or a timer? And is the spacer the pipe with 4 bolts on the pass side of the aftercooler were the crossover pipe goes in, or is it under the aftercooler ? Thanks for your help! My engine starts good as low as 15 F, but sometime I'm going to have to leave it somewhere with no where to plug in when it is colder.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Can't believe I lost the link but I did! SOMEbody makes auxiliary desel-fuel fired heaters, intended to keep the cab warm. If you get creative with your plumbing you can add a simple 12V circulation pump and plumb this heater into the normal heater lines, thereby to heat block, with no outside connections.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Can't believe I lost the link but I did! SOMEbody makes auxiliary desel-fuel fired heaters, intended to keep the cab warm. If you get creative with your plumbing you can add a simple 12V circulation pump and plumb this heater into the normal heater lines, thereby to heat block, with no outside connections.
JimmieD I have already got all the stuff I need to do exactly that. Eberspacher D5W I think they are known as Espar in the US. the D stands for diesel the 5 for 5KW and the W for water. Also webasto make similar items. I am familiar with eberspacher though as I have a water D5W and a D1LC in the camper. they have a water pump built in and plumb into the heater circuit.

Gaza

Attachments

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Can you guys give more info on putting a grid heater on (4bta) do you wire it to a push button or a timer? And is the spacer the pipe with 4 bolts on the pass side of the aftercooler were the crossover pipe goes in, or is it under the aftercooler ? Thanks for your help! My engine starts good as low as 15 F, but sometime I'm going to have to leave it somewhere with no where to plug in when it is colder.
I use a hd push botton switch.

The BTA air to air ,has a spacer block with 4 bolts /air intake remove the spacer install heater grid .Now the heater can be wired many different ways.
The 2 front studs is where your Positive cables go * some of the grid heats have 1 stud in the back is ground.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks crewcab that makes it clear, I have air to water and that is why the spacer block did not make sence.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts