Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Well...

I can't say what the lower cold limit for starting is, but here's what I've observed with mine:

At 50°F+, the starter "grunts" one or two times (and I assume that each "grunt" is the slowdown that happens when a piston comes up on compression..) before it's running. So, 1/2 to 1 turn of the crank and running.

The other morning, when it was 28°F (coldest it's been since I got it this summer, and y'all up north can quit laughing now..), I went out to start it just to see how it'd do. Didn't plug in the block heater, no grids, nada. I counted about 5 "grunts", so 2.5 turns of the crank, and we were running. So, 28°F doesn't appear to be a problem.

I'll share this trick, too:

If you're starting in the cold, keep cranking for about 10-15 seconds, especially if the thing is just barely cranking over. If you don't start on the first attempt, don't panic. Wait about 2-3 minutes, then try again. I'll bet it cranks MUCH faster on the second go, IF YOU WAIT..

What you're doing is heating the batteries (and pre-heating the engine a bit, as well as putting a little more lube to the bearings..) on the first try. Takes a couple of minutes for it to have a positive effect on battery output. If you don't wait and just try again after only 30-60 seconds, or just keep grinding the thing, it's not going to help.

Of course, optimum is to have a setup that provides enough oomph to do the job at whatever temperatures you operate in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
crewcab59 and i have started and I drove a breadvan back from North Carolina when it was in the 20s. Started just fine

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
The 4b have block heaters ,not grid heaters unless they have been installed from the 6b.The 2 Vans started just fine @ 20 * .

My 6b will start @ 15 * under that I have to use the grid heaters.

Scott

·
Registered
225 Posts
Started mine this past winter @ 18*F, no heaters, forgot to plug in.
Carl

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts
The first Dodges that came with the non-intercooled Cummins engines had a thermo switch that did not turn on the grid heaters until the temperature was less than 20° F or -6° C. Of course these engines were also equipped with the electric jacket water heater which is a diesel engines best wintertime friend. If you have a situation where it is impossible to plug the heater in then you should try to always have a battery and starter in good condition, a set of jumper cables, and clean oil. A diesel rated synthetic or synthetic blend oil will also help considerably.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'll be traveling to North Dakota for Christmas, so I installed both the block heater and a Grid heater on mine. I plan to use both devices if temps will be below 0*F like they often are.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Had -5C here so far. I get one "re-er" out of the starter and it's running. 1/2 crank and it's running, battery is the original 525CCA Mopar battery that came with the truck in 2000 (half life reading on load test). Not on the block heater, no grid heater either.

Apparantly there's a 'flame tube' heater for the 4bt. Takes fuel out of the return line and burns it in the intake manifold to heat it up. I want one just because it sounds cool.

Fire!!!
-Scotty

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just pulled my engine out of an wonder bread van. It had no grid, no block heater and a group 24 battery. It started quicker than a gasoline engine on a couple 20* mornings.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Apparently there's a 'flame tube' heater for the 4bt. Takes fuel out of the return line and burns it in the intake manifold to heat it up.
Yanmar Tractors use that, it is called "thermostart".
The flame is right inside the intake - - - NEVER use ether!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
The coldest morning I started mine was about -10*F, you could tell that was about it. That was with no block heater or starting aid, and two group 24 searies batteries. This winter Im hooking up an intake heater for good measure.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Had -5C here so far. I get one "re-er" out of the starter and it's running. 1/2 crank and it's running, battery is the original 525CCA Mopar battery that came with the truck in 2000 (half life reading on load test). Not on the block heater, no grid heater either.

Apparantly there's a 'flame tube' heater for the 4bt. Takes fuel out of the return line and burns it in the intake manifold to heat it up. I want one just because it sounds cool.

Fire!!!
-Scotty
I like the idea of this, can you update us when you get one?

Jeepcummins -10f, I think thats -26C , thats cold for non assisted starting, don't think I have anything to worry about here. Can anyone beat this?

Gaza

·
Registered
169 Posts
I'm hoping that mine is as easy to start with the sub zero temps we get here.:(

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'm hoping that mine is as easy to start with the sub zero temps we get here.:(
Install a block heater. It took me about 10 minutes total once I spun the oil filter off. ;)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Mine has started reliably in temps below -15F with the wind chill something like -40F.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Install a block heater. It took me about 10 minutes total once I spun the oil filter off. ;)
My 94 bread van came from Chicago so it came with one. I was thinking of adding a grid heater from a 6Bt, think I'll need it?

·
Registered
854 Posts
I was thinking of adding a grid heater from a 6Bt, think I'll need it?
It depends on your needs and actual climate.

The 6BT grid install was kind of a pain in the ass, a lot of the injector line support brackets can't be reused unless you do a little cuttin' and weldin'.

Need pics?

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
The 4b have block heaters ,not grid heaters unless they have been installed from the 6b.The 2 Vans started just fine @ 20 * .

My 6b will start @ 15 * under that I have to use the grid heaters.

Scott
Two of the vans I have dont have grid heaters but they do have the square intake to install grid heater, its Cummins part, not chopped 6bt intake. But havent looked at part #

·
Registered
258 Posts
I can't speak for the 4bt, but I haven't had any real problems starting my '96 6b on -30 f. mornings. I use the block heater when its below zero, and cycle the grid heater twice before cranking it. Because it works so well, I'm using a block heater and modified grid heater on my wife's Durango 4bt swap.

For those who have done it, what exactly is supposed to need welding on the modified 6b intake plate/grid heater? I cut mine down to a cast-in rib and it looks like it will seal just fine without doing anything else. I might use JB-weld to widen the rib a bit to ensure proper sealing, but I don't think its really necessary. Also, what else is required to have the automatic timer for the Dodge grid heater (temp. sensitive)? I have the heater and relays, but don't have a wiring schematic. I may just wire it up to a push button and have her hold it on for several seconds. I'll also have it wired in to the remote starter I'll be installing for her (with accessory solenoid wired in for high idle during warmup)

Jim

1 - 20 of 33 Posts