Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
For those who have done it, what exactly is supposed to need welding on the modified 6b intake plate/grid heater? I cut mine down to a cast-in rib and it looks like it will seal just fine without doing anything else.
I just took some 1/4" thick aluminum plate and cut a new top

I may just wire it up to a push button and have her hold it on for several seconds.
Also what I am doing, just using a starter relay and push button

·
Registered
854 Posts
If it gets really cold, get an oil pan heater stuck on the bottom too. Instant oil pressure.
Yeah, I think I'll do the thread in style oil heater.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Two of the vans I have dont have grid heaters but they do have the square intake to install grid heater, its Cummins part, not chopped 6bt intake. But havent looked at part #
The square spacer is only on BTA , most everybody has BT thats why I quoted they didn't come with grid heaters. Since you have a BTA than just remove the spacer and get a grid heater from a late 12v or 24v and wire up the heater.

Scott

·
Registered
279 Posts
After living in Fairbanks, AK for ten years, and now E. Wyoming, cold starting is a very big concern for me. Personally, even if it WILL start, I see no reason not to use the block heater if temps are below about 30 F. MUCH easier on that little 4BT. The same goes for a pan heater. I'd use that as well, at 15 or 20F (they don't draw near as much wattage as a block heater).

In interior Alaska, even foreign gassers had block heaters, pan heaters, tranny heaters, and battery heaters (or trickle chargers). My Powerstroke has all above (total draw, about 1950 watts!), because I had it when up there. The trickle is a nice concept in extreme cold. You just wire it into your 110 "cluster", and plug in as usual. The charge entering the batteries will prevent them from freezing and keep charge level up ( which is great at -50F):idea: Anyway, just my two cents, if anyone was curious about diesel operation at extreme cold temps (I won't get into the firewood under engine compartment burning for 1/2 day for those occasions when the power goes out!!!

As for the intake heater, I would also like to have one on the 4bt. I see that mods will be required to use the 6bt model. It would seem to me that the Case backhoes would have had something, but I haven't checked with Case. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks, Wayne

·
Registered
854 Posts
As for the intake heater, I would also like to have one on the 4bt. I see that mods will be required to use the 6bt model. Does anyone have any insight?
It was pretty easy, actually. I used 1/4" thick aluminum (because it is what I had, 1/4" steel would work, too) to make the intake top.
You could even set the stock cover in a mill and grind off the intake stub and make the hole square. Then you will need the grid, elbow, bolts, and wiring/relays to put it all together. You'll also need to modify the tube from the turbo to the intake elbow. It is a one day project if you take some time to have a beer once in a while.

·
Registered
238 Posts
14 F this morning, one rev, bam, fired right up.

Not plugged in either. Gotta figure that one out.
-Scotty

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have a cummins part# for the thread in oil heater or another source for this? This seems like a very good idea on those very chilly mornings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 4BTA jeep.

I've never had any trouble starting mine in 20 degrees. I was talking to a logger and he had one in a skidder and said he has never had any trouble and some times it's been 10 below zero.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm starting my 14th winter with my 12v. If I've got it plugged in for more than 4 hours, the grid heater doesn't even cycle unless it's colder than -30'F. If I don't plug it in, the grid heater starts to cycle at around 40'F. I don't usually plug in unless it's colder than 25'F and then it's on a timer so it's only plugged in around 4 hrs or so. It doesn't matter how long I let it idle though, it won't warm up unless I drive it down the highway. Even then, it won't keep the temp up at an idle unless I set the idle at 1250 or higher.
Ian

·
Registered
210 Posts
The square spacer is only on BTA , most everybody has BT thats why I quoted they didn't come with grid heaters. Since you have a BTA than just remove the spacer and get a grid heater from a late 12v or 24v and wire up the heater.

Scott
does the grid heater go before or after the aftercooler?

·
Registered
854 Posts
does the grid heater go before or after the aftercooler?
It doesn't fit with the water-jacketed aftercoolers. Only those running front mounted intercoolers. It bolts right onto the intake. Pictures tell the whole story.
Just do a search.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts