Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
great site here, much easier to use than the old yahoo groups. :)

The Nissan SD-33 in the CJ-7 (which I swapped in from an international Scout) has been a nice motor for the past 3 years, but it's signature start up smoke, lack of power, and no overdrive have prompted a change.

Searching around ebay, I found a few 4BT's; everything from "for core" units to new ones for $5,500. So I came across this one, which was re listed from a previous auction by same seller at $2,300 for $2,500.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=014&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=330104264894&rd=1&rd=1

I spoke to the seller for quite a while on the phone, who sounded like a really honest guy, and intended to install this in a CJ8.

The auction comes with a NV4500 adapter plate, flywheel, and bell housing, this coupled with an engine that has only 60K on the rebuild seemed like a good deal. The seller said it is set up for an internal slave :confused: which he prefers over external? Any help clearing up would be great.

Now to find a NV4500, any good sources? :confused:

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Hey, sounds like you got a real sweet deal there, John! The adapter, flywheel and bell: GM, Ford or Dodge? Makes a big difference on what tranny/clutch setup will work.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Going from memory, but it looks like the Dodge bellhousing with external slave. Other posters report that the dealer has the best deal on throwout arm and pivot ball.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Loks like a Dodge B/H. It has an external slave. I don't know of anybody who prefers the internal slave that the chevy's use. You have 2 choices for NV4500, either a chevy one from 96 up and change the I/P shaft for a dodge one or get a Dodge NV4500, it will depend on which T/case you want to use , The chevy ones don't appear to have a 5th gear nut problem like the dodge ones do.

Gaza

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments.

Loks like a Dodge B/H. It has an external slave. I don't know of anybody who prefers the internal slave that the chevy's use. You have 2 choices for NV4500, either a chevy one from 96 up and change the I/P shaft for a dodge one or get a Dodge NV4500, it will depend on which T/case you want to use , The chevy ones don't appear to have a 5th gear nut problem like the dodge ones do.
Gaza
Howdy, I need a crash course in NV4500, lol. :bounce:

From what I have read the 5th gear nut problem now has a upgrade for rebuilds.

I tentatively plan to run a Jeep CJ D300, though I am willing to go with any passenger side drop case since I will need to buy whichever case I go with. Any other suggestions.

A fellow named Don who is on the yahoo group strongly suggested me going with an NP435 4-speed, but I really want an overdrive since most of my driving is 3+ hours to the trail, and this engine comes with NV4500 parts already. He cited the length, weight, and cost of the NV4500 as negatives. :confused:

·
Registered
696 Posts
The 5th gear nut can be solved, look at http://quad4x4.com
As for it being heavy read stout. The dodge ram guys give them some serious stick bombing and towing real heavy. With a .73 OD cruising to the trail will be much better. I think you will be better of with the NV4500. The clutch and flywheel are then standard dodge so spares are available everywhere. and you already have the B/H , flywheel and engine adapter plate. Its a no brainer in my opinion. Changing the I/P shaft is real easy, alot easier than changing the O/P shaft. There are other 5th gear nut fixes , look at some dodge forums. ultimately its your choice

Gaza

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With a .73 OD cruising to the trail will be much better. I think you will be better of with the NV4500. The clutch and flywheel are then standard dodge so spares are available everywhere. and you already have the B/H , flywheel and engine adapter plate. Its a no brainer in my opinion. Changing the I/P shaft is real easy, alot easier than changing the O/P shaft. There are other 5th gear nut fixes , look at some dodge forums. ultimately its your choice
Gaza
Thanks, I will check out that site you posted for the 5th gear info.

Great points, I would really like a overdrive since most of the driving I do is 55MPH+ and this engine comes with NV4500 parts

You have 2 choices for NV4500, either a chevy one from 96 up and change the I/P shaft for a dodge one or get a Dodge NV4500, it will depend on which T/case you want to use...
So, is the only difference between the Chevy and Dodge NV4500 the input shaft? What year Dodge ones should I be looking for? 2500? 3500?

As I understand there are 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" input shafts, the latter one for diesels?

I will probably run a D300 t-case, advance adapters said it will bolt up, but the input on the D300 will have to be changed. Another fellow said if the NV4500 is built with a certain mainshaft no mods are needed to bolt a D300 to the NV4500. :confused:

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
329 Posts
d300

There are two different output shaft spline counts for the nv4500. the 23 will bolt up to a d300 no mods. HOWEVER, that is the nv4500 that ame behind the gas 8 bangers. It is a lighter version. The 29 spline HD is what you will need. For a dodge unit, just change the IP shaft and bolt up. The chevy version (post 95) will also require an IP shaft change and spacer and one of the holes on the trans to be elongated as it doesnt exactly line up.

Another option is get a chevy version of the nv4500 and put a dodge input and you wont have the 5th gear nut problem (if you are going to have a new unit built).

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are two different output shaft spline counts for the nv4500. the 23 will bolt up to a d300 no mods. HOWEVER, that is the nv4500 that ame behind the gas 8 bangers. It is a lighter version. The 29 spline HD is what you will need. For a dodge unit, just change the IP shaft and bolt up. The chevy version (post 95) will also require an IP shaft change and spacer and one of the holes on the trans to be elongated as it doesnt exactly line up.

Another option is get a chevy version of the nv4500 and put a dodge input and you wont have the 5th gear nut problem (if you are going to have a new unit built).
I am a bit confused, unsure if the first paragraph is referring to the D300 input being changed, or the NV4500 input being changed. :confused:

·
Registered
696 Posts
This is a better explanation than I ca give, http://www.offroaders.com/directory/products/NV4500.htm
After 96 both GM & Dodge NV4500 were basically the same, the B/H bolt pattern are the same so GM & Dodge B/H can be interchanged as can the I/P shafts.
the O/P shafts are different but can be changed but its much more involved, tail housings can also be swapped. If you want 4x4 get a 4x4 nv4500 though. A dodge HD NV4500 from the back of a 6bt or the V10 will have a 29 spline O/P and a 1.25 I/P shaft , if its from a light duty (LD) gas application it will have a 23 spline O/P shaft. The dodge LD version also have the smaller 1.125 diameter I/P shaft aswell. The GM 4x4s have a 32 spline O/P shaft Like mine but it is of a smaller diameter than the 29 spline dodge one so even though it has more splines the 29 spline dodge one is stronger. As I already had a GM nv4500 with an adapter to my tcase all I did was change the B/H and swapped in a 1.375 I/P shaft, this is a larger after market I/P shaft that isn't really needed for a 4bt. If you don't have a Tcase yet if you got an NP205 from a dodge/cummins from 89-93 with a 5 sp Getrage it has a 29 spline I/P shaft and bolts directly to a dodge HD NV4500. simple and NO adapters its passenger side drop. This is a thread about converting chevy's to cummins
http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121702 page 5 I think has pics and reference to NP205 its on a nv5600 but I think it will fit a nv4500 just the same The hole thread is a good read some stuff is useful some not.:beer: IMHO If it was me I would get a Dodge NV4500 from a cummins
and then get a T case to suit. That simple statement makes the above scribblings meaningless.
Here is a 5th gear fix where the guy tack welded it on http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=144495

I hope I have helped rather than confuse you more.

Gaza

1 - 10 of 10 Posts