Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my 4bt has a ton of dirt and grease and grime all over it. What are common gaskets that i should replace. Oil pan? valve cover gaskets? Oh, and where to get part numbers for these things...

TIA

·
Registered
854 Posts
well, the valve cover gaskets are only $3.99 each from most any auto parts store.

Felpro Part Number VS50396R

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I replace the front & rear main seals ,fix the KDP when the front seal is being done ,don't forget front gear case bolts,when they come loose and it will leak . Valve covers always leak at some point.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses, it only took 8 months :D

I ended up not replacing any, i have some slight seepage, but it doesn't seem to even be dripping at this point, so I am not too worried about it. I figured if they weren't leaking and i messed with them, they would probalby leak when i was done, haha.

·
Registered
126 Posts
along the same lines:

Anyone know of a basic gasket kit available? (front, valve covers, oil pan, exaust).

·
Registered
27 Posts
It's a cummins. I'd replace them all while the engine's out. I've yet to see one (4bt or 6bt) that doesn't leak.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Anyone know of a basic gasket kit available? (front, valve covers, oil pan, exaust).
Don't Fel Pro or Victor or someone offer quite a few gaskets without having to buy from Cummins?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Yes and the Cummins gaskets are super expensive.. I'm curious if guys have had good luck with kits that are aftermarket and don't leak. It's about $1200 in gaskets from Cummins I think and you can get a whole aftermarket rebuild kit with gaskets for $500-700 from some places...

I've had the worst luck with valve cover, oil pan, and specifically HEAD GASKET. My engine is tight with good compression even at 186K miles but the head gasket leaks oil and coolant...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts