Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everybody! It's me again. I was just wanted to ask what the benefits of a Commonrail 5.9 is over a regular 5.9? Is mpg better? More power? I have a commonrail in my Ford Excursion and just wondered what the benefit/drawbacks were of each engine.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There are a lot of threads on this subject on other forums and the pros and cons are still tough to balance in favor of one or the other. I would love to see your wiring harness details. I'm working on a 2005 5.9 into a 2006 F250 and want to build my own harness adapter.. I went with the common rail to get more horsepower and a quieter power plant at the expense of simplicity and more cost and arguably less reliability and durability... I have never owned a commonrail before but loved the 12 valve 5.9 in my old first gen.

·
Registered
12,218 Posts
Like Elbonk said, there has been lots of discussion about the pros and cons. As for power level, a mechanical 6bt can reach extreme power but since the common rail is computer controlled it can be turned up a lot cheaper. One of the main reasons we went away from the mechanical injection system was smog control. Probably not a huge difference in fuel mileage, but the computer metered system probably has an edge.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For 40k I'd swap a 16v Cummins with an automatic Eaton & atlas transfer case into a old wagoneer and put a Kaiser grill on the front. Probably lift it four inches and put Oshkosh MRAP Axels under it. It'd be a hell of a time finding tires for it, and wheels for that matter Tutuapp 9Apps Showbox but I'd make it work.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts