Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the process of a new build an thinking about doing compounds on my 4bt. It's a VE pump engine, pump is currently at scheid being maxed out. So I have the baby h1c 16cm nongated turbo that came on it an I also have a hx35 with a grated 10cm housing an my thought was switch the exhaust housing between the two. Just looking for some input on if that would be a suitable set up or if the turbine sizes are to big to work.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
For twins you don't have the best turbo. First off, there is no 10cm2 gated housing for the HX35W. Those came with a 12cm2 gated housing. That turbo would be a very good primary for the twin set up. For the secondary, the general choice is the HX30W with a 6cm2 turbine housing. The most commonly used would be the one with a 44mm inducer. That one is commonly available and comes out of China. There are 40mm and 42mm versions but neither is very common in the new or used market. The Super HX30W with the 46mm inducer could be used but that would be more in line with an all out assault on power using a P7100 pump and a Super HX40W primary. The VE is going to hit limits around 300 HP. You'll need to change the injectors to 5x.012 units which are all that pump wants to handle. There have been several twin builds on the forum. Member Eggman has one with a VE pump. You'll also have to judge whether your transmission is up to the task. 300 HP can have in the neighborhood of 650-700 lb ft of torque. Manuals with a small clutch will not hold that. Eggman can verify that.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
506 Posts
Charles, there certainly is a 10cm gated exhaust housing for the hx35, as well as a 8cm. I'm guessing your thinking of the Dodge Cummins 12cm application only. Just like the industrial 14cm that you know of. Also there is a 16cm gated for hx35....so there is many different combo's available. I have sold all of the above.

I agree with your suggestion of a 44mm w/6cm over a hx35 for his combo.

Reactions: eggman918

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Belt drive takes power to make power so theres not as much potential power. As for electric, a 12 volt system does not have enough power to run an electric motor with the out put you would need to create positive manifold pressure. Then their is the secondary issue of air volume.

E="Ali, post: 1078545, member: 28405"]
Hello, what about using electric or belt driven super charger instead of exhaust turbo charger?
[/QUOTE]

·
Vendor
2,726 Posts

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Red, you better look again. That ad is an HX30W. To my knowledge the HX35W didn't come with a single scroll turbine. Mark, in all the years have never seen a 10cm2 or 8cm2 gated housing for the HX35W. Some aftermarket company was making a 8cm2 non gated. That 8cm2 gated unit is an import from the UK so we would have never seen one on a USA built engine. Same went for that 10cm2. Those were on some Chinese trucks so we would have never seen one here.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
506 Posts
Charles, yep not common for N.America but 100% genuine Holset waste gated turbo's. Holset like Cummins has different plants around the world. I sell more 10cm hx35's then 12's these days. 8's in my opinion are far too restrictive except for a very low rpm engine. The 14cm waste gated works really nice for a towing turbine housing for the 6bt guys & in a twin setup for the higher hp 4bt guys that aren't at high elevation.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
I'm curious if either of those were ever on a Cummins engine. One of those turbine housings was produced before the B series engines existed. They could have been used on the WH1C which predated the HX35W.

·
Vendor
2,726 Posts
Seller states HX35w, he must have made a mistake. But I think Mark is correct Char. I know Holset manufactured 10cm HX35W ex housings. Maybe not available here but they were made by Holset. Not sure on the 8cm as I have not seen one but wouldnt be surprised at all. Seen some odd size natural gas applications.

·
Vendor
2,726 Posts

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Yes Red, there is an 8cm2 gated turbo made in England. I had never seen that creature since it never came on a US built engine. Not sure what it's original application is. Don't think it was a Cummins. Same goes for the 10cm2 version which is also an overseas model. That one may be out of China.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts