Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a GM 353 marine diesel and have air in the line fuel line. I purchased a hand pump with gauge in order to purge the system but have not done this before. Is the best way to attach it to the fuel filter with the other end on a pail of clean fuel? How much pressure should I build up on the gauge?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Attach the outlet ofthe pump to the secondary filter and when you get fuel flowing out of the return on the head you're ready to start it . On the secondary filter the cuage will also read fuel pressure on your "common rail" and when you revit up it should be 60-70 PSI .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Can you push fuel through fuel pump and into the secondary filter with a hand pump? Push it all the way out/to the return on the head?

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
Dan's suggestion to prime/fill the secondary filter will usually work OK but may not always get the fuel pump primed enough to start pumping.

I permanently installed a priming pump on my truck and have it drawing fuel through the primary filter and pumping to the outlet of the gear/engine pump. It is in parallel with the engine pump. This leaves very little unprimed

No, you can not pump any appreciable amount of fuel through the gear pump.

Grigg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts