Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
talking to my local engine shop i was informed that Cummins rods can not be reconditioned. looking at the design there not just a standard rod design like automotive. if they can be reconditioned then other machine work needs to be done to the alignment groove as it looks to me.

i just wanted to ask if anyone has had there rods reconditioned and were they sent somewhere special to be done. other reason i ask is because when you change rod bolts like ARP it can cause problems with the roundness of the bearing bore. wanted to see what people have done when changing rod bolts as well.

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Which rods do you have? There are 2 different styles. The early rods are just like any automotive type and those could be reconditioned. Pin bushings are replaceable and bottom ends can be resized. The second style rods are the cracked type and those you replace. Those started being used around 2003 when the common rail engines went into the Dodge trucks. The older rods can be rebuilt so I assume yours are the later ones.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they don't look like standard rods. this rod looks like the ones i have. looked on another site and it says these were avail going back to 94. the other thing that is way different is the cap isn't the same width as the rod body.

Font Carnivore Terrestrial animal Nickel Metal

·
Registered
12,527 Posts
Do your rods have the Cummins part number on them? If you take the end cap off the rod is the mating surface to the top end machined smooth or rough? The older type rods would have part numbers 3901569, 3925232, or 3942581.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts