Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... Hello everyone .. I am planning to change the engine of my 1981 chevrolet blazer k5 350 for a cummins 4bt. I wonder if I can use the original chevrolet transmission(manual) with this engine .. I would like your opinion on this and what do you recommend ...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The Cummins 4bt requires an adapter plate to attach the engine to the transmission bellhousing. The the required parts get very specific to vehicle manufacturer, model, and year range.

Common adapter patterns are small block Ford, General Motors (includes Chevrolet), Dodge (6bt diesel and V-10 only - gasoline engine transmissions have a different bellhousing pattern) and SAE.

Chevrolet manual transmissions (and the required specific flywheel - uncertain about what else is required) are rare (i.e. very expensive).

Without an overdrive transmission, highway speeds are loud and poor fuel economy).

Question: What transmission and is it 4 wheel drive?

Russ

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[QUOTE = "Russ McLean, publicación: 1071113, miembro: 4481"]
El Cummins 4bt requiere una placa adaptadora para sujetar el motor a la carcasa de la transmisión. Las piezas requeridas son muy específicas para el fabricante, el modelo y el rango de año del vehículo.

Los patrones de adaptadores comunes son Ford de bloque pequeño, General Motors (incluye Chevrolet), Dodge (diésel de 6bt y V-10 solamente; las transmisiones de motores de gasolina tienen un patrón de campana diferente) y SAE.

Las transmisiones manuales de Chevrolet (y el volante específico requerido - no se sabe qué más se requiere) son raras (es decir, muy caras).

Sin una transmisión de sobremarcha, las velocidades de autopista son altas y el consumo de combustible es bajo).

Pregunta: ¿Qué transmisión y es tracción en las 4 ruedas?

Russ
[/ CITAR]
Es 4x4

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
It is a big task to exactly fit the 4bt in the engine compartment - if the goal is to keep all the existing drive shafts and transfer case in the original position. I am a two wheel drive Ford guy, I do not have the answers that you need.

At the top of the page, there is a box labeled Search Community (has a magnifying glass symbol on the right edge). Type in k5 blazer - you get 426 results.

Use Advanced Search, type in k5 blazer and then select Buildup Showcase Threads - All Engines, Vehicles - 292 results

Good luck, Russ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts