Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what motor would be the cheapest and easiest motor to do a conversion in a 1988 s10 a cummins 4bt, think it would be to heavy for the IFS, or the 3.9 Isuzu
think it would be lighter and easier. What can you get a 3.9 isuzu for in good working order, and are there ways to turn the power up on these motors. This if
it get done will be a low budget build. I have some diesel knowledge and drive a 2006 chevy 2500HD Duramax , and love diesel and am looking at something to build for a daily drive that will be more economical. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
how much does the Isuzu 4b weigh?
Quite a lot, between 350 and 400kg.

Isuzu do a 4BC2 which is 3.3L, non turbo and slightly shorter than the 4BD1T. But I don't think it made it to the US. It was installed in the 3 ton NPR's, (chassis code NPR57).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Did you ever drive one of these, Dougal? I've read that some of the smaller 4's were real slugs, but I've not read much about the 3.3.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Did you ever drive one of these, Dougal? I've read that some of the smaller 4's were real slugs, but I've not read much about the 3.3.
Yeah I've done a lot of driving in one fitted with a flatdeck. It doesn't set the world on fire, but when empty (2500kg tare) is quite fun to drive and has been loaded up to the 8 ton mark occasionally.
There's no rev counter so I don't know what the gearing is, but it's fairly noisey at 100km/h.

Disgustingly reliable for 22 years, then for some reason a cam roller got chewed up. $200 worth of parts and it's still going strong.

I heard this engine didn't get to the US, they shoehorned 350 chevs and auto boxes in the same truck for that market.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts