Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am interested converting the Cummins ISF 3.8 into a marine engine. The ISF 3.8 is a 3.8 liter diesel engine made by Cummins in China which is widely available everywhere in the world BUT the USA. The brochure for the engine can be found by Googling 4951315.pdf

If there is anybody who can provide a checklist for the parts which much be changed to marinize a diesel engine / convert a diesel engine into a maritime engine I'd greatly appreciate it. From my research it seems that a marine conversion requires the following modifications:

1. Head gasket changed to marine head gasket
2. Camshaft timed for marine loads
3. Turbocharger replaced with water cooled turbocharger
4. Reprogrammed computer to adjust timing for constant load marine application
5. Water pump replaced with impeller
6. Exhaust system replaced with manifold cooling

Many sites suggested replacing alternators and starters with marine versions which include flame arresters but in a Diesel application where the danger of explosion is absent would this be required?.

If marine parts available for a 4BT which could work on this engine I'd love to just buy those parts and save myself a heap of trouble. Some of the things on this list like reprogramming the ECU are beyond me. I'll need to find a company which can help do this type of work - any suggestions from the forum would be helpful.

There were some discussions about this Cummins engine a while back in this thread:

/showthread.php?10512

I have another thread open discussing ways to increase the horsepower of the ISF 3.8:

/showthread.php?23136

I'd appreciate any help anyone can offer.

·
3,907 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The links aren't working because 4btswaps.com does not allow new members to make posts with URL's as a way to prevent SPAM. Thank you for the assist.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts