Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on converting 2 of my 4BTA CAC to Liquid aftercooler. The Liquid Aftercooler has two tubes ( Supply and Return). The Tube going to the head is in question. How is this tube retained in the head ? I removed the push in plug on the proper head port and there are no threads for a fitting.

Looking at my other 2 (CPL 857's) with liquid aftercoolers, I see no visible retaining nuts or ? It appears to be a press in fitting ?? Is it possible that the engine with Liquid Aftercoolers have a different head that accepts the tube ? Has anyone made this conversion and how is the tube that goes to the head connected.

I forgot to measure the head port where the tube mounts when I left the shop today. It looks close to 1/2 " size. I guess one could tap it for a 1/2" hose connection rather than the steel tube

Thanks
Paul

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
It's probably one of those stupid internal bell flares like they use on the dipstick tube. Is it a two step bore where it goes in the head? I think you have the right idea on just drilling and tapping it for a hose fitting.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob;
I will look in the morning to see if its a 2 step bore. I was in a rush this evening when I closed up shop....I think....It was a 2 step.

Paul

·
Registered
75 Posts
The fitting just presses into the head. It is a tight fit. Just like a frost plug.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The tube does just press in. I removed mine and replaced with a press in freeze plug. I rerouted to the screw in plug in the thermostat housing just after thermostat in an effort to keep coolant flow through the jwac even if the thermostat is closed. Only made a slight improvement in egt.
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Carl;
What type of tool did you use to press the tube in place ? I can see pressing in a freeze plug, but to grip the tubing and press ?

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im sorry, maybe I wasnt clear, I removed the existing tube from my engines head. Much straining and probably used up most of a days alotment of dirty words. The tube has a roll just above where it seats on the head so you could probably build a tool to seat on this roll and press/drive the tube into the head. As I said before, I rerouted mine to the threaded plug post thermostat in the thermostat housing. It would be a lot less effort on your part to do it this way just out find out these things dont work worth a damn. Just my .03 cents,
Carl

1979 F-250 crew cab 4 x 4
4 bta
ZF S-42 5 speed
Borg Warner 1356 x-case
Dana 60 rear
Dana 44 front
3.55 gears
255/85R16 tires (33.5x10.5)
Hydroboost steering and brakes
Custom 40 gal. fuel tank
Much more later