Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a 4bt for 6 months now. it seems that 4k for an engine is very common now. what are people seeing for a good price now and how is the availability. i live in New Mexico and there doesn't seem to be many here. that or i haven't found the places.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Look for utility units that might be dead with a hood engine, buy whole dead vehicle, abandoned, storage, back alleys, etc.

Ed in CO

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well I'm concentrating my search now to truck shops and places where they would end up. finding some on auctions but there usually too far from home and shipping would be too much. missed one last week for 500 but it was quite a ways from home. ill find one its just going to come down to being in the right place at the right time.

you really think the craze is over, i don't know about that. in the last couple of months every time one comes up for less than 2k there gone in a day.

·
Premium Member
1972 F250 4x4, 78 d44, 3.55, np205, 200hp 4bt nv4500 in progress
49 Posts
Remember one of those rules that as soon as you find one for more, farther away, one will usually soon pop up nearby, for less, in better condition...

·
Registered
163 Posts
well I'm concentrating my search now to truck shops and places where they would end up. finding some on auctions but there usually too far from home and shipping would be too much. missed one last week for 500 but it was quite a ways from home. ill find one its just going to come down to being in the right place at the right time.

you really think the craze is over, i don't know about that. in the last couple of months every time one comes up for less than 2k there gone in a day.
Yeah, I am in California though. So perhaps its not the same everywhere else. All I know is that I had to watch for 2 years or so.

Remember one of those rules that as soon as you find one for more, farther away, one will usually soon pop up nearby, for less, in better condition...
Yeah, if you keep looking after you get one, you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I make it a habit to just not look anymore after I get something.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hey i just saw a couple on govplanet or a similar auction site (dont remember exactly which one) that were rebuilt genset units going for around $3k as a whole genset based on previously sold ones.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been following the auctions of things for months and the prices things go for its like really. but then other things go for next nothing. the step vans are getting good money now days.

·
Registered
163 Posts
It really is just a scarcity issue right now. The 2nd reason or perhaps the primary reason Step Vans are so expensive is that ALL vehicles are through the roof as well as the scrap value of the aluminum boxes have gone up too.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so to add to this went to 2 shops today. one was the local Cummins shop i used to work for a long time ago and as i figured they didn't have anything. the other place i went to the guy said he's never seen or heard of a 4bt. but the most disturbing part i heard was that wrecking places are starting to remove older engines from service by taking and using a cutting torch and blowing holes in the side of the block and taking a picture and sending it to the dmv to have it removed from the database and to force more people to buy newer emission compliant truck engines.

just thought id share what's happening because of newer laws.

·
Registered
163 Posts
so to add to this went to 2 shops today. one was the local Cummins shop i used to work for a long time ago and as i figured they didn't have anything. the other place i went to the guy said he's never seen or heard of a 4bt. but the most disturbing part i heard was that wrecking places are starting to remove older engines from service by taking and using a cutting torch and blowing holes in the side of the block and taking a picture and sending it to the dmv to have it removed from the database and to force more people to buy newer emission compliant truck engines.

just thought id share what's happening because of newer laws.
They did this in Commiefornia (my home state) when they did cash for clunkers. Perfectly good vehicles were destroyed because of the left's obsession with saving the planet from horrible, awful human beings and their silly SUVs.

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
I didnt agree with the bill entirely and Im on the left. "The bill easily passed on a 316-109 bipartisan vote. John Campbell(R) of California has spoken in favor of the bill." Funny how facts screw up stupidity. Nothing wrong with trying to leave this mudball in the same condition or better to your children and grandchildren.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I didnt agree with the bill entirely and Im on the left. "The bill easily passed on a 316-109 bipartisan vote. John Campbell(R) of California has spoken in favor of the bill." Funny how facts screw up stupidity. Nothing wrong with trying to leave this mudball in the same condition or better to your children and grandchildren.
Ok, lots of things here: regardless of how bi-partisan the bill passage was, its a liberal concoction. Actual conservatives, perhaps the 109 who voted against it, would never have created the bill.

I have no problem, and neither do 99% of people on the planet, with leaving this mudball in the same or better condition is a good thing. It's always in the "how" its done. Paying people to throw away their perfectly good cars, to buy a new car is not an environmentally sound idea. Prius' are made of plastic and metal too. Improving emissions at the cost of fuel economy (see diesel trucks) and manufacturing of brand new vehicles is not environmentally friendly. It takes about 3 minutes to think bills like that through to conclude it does not do what it intended. So all we learned is that there are 316 idiots on the left and the "right" who passed a law that did not do what it was supposed to do.

I also am of the opinion that the government has no business telling you or me what to do, even if they think its for our own good.

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
Agreed a liberal bill but as I stated I did have problems with it myself. Dont want to see muscle cars etc destroyed but a 75 Lincoln with a 460 putting out 200hp and 8mpg needs to be scrapped. 68 Camaro 350 w 390hp, no. Most here hate the EPA and it seems incredible that a rightwing prez actually enacted something that would protect American citizens but Im of the age to remember what LA looked like before smog laws. Like China now. Sometimes unfortunately the gov has to make laws for our own good cause some dont have their own safety, well being in mind or even common sense. Its for our countries own good to not have predators/clergy raping children thats why our government makes laws to tell you what you cant do. America wouldnt be what it is today without laws. Why all children back in the day used to have to have about 7 vaccinations before entering the school system. It wasnt just for their own good, it was to protect all the other children in school and extend outward to herd immunity. Why you dont see smallpox/polio etc. If a teacher/health provider/etc doesnt want to get their leprosy shot, thats their right and its fine but to protect other Americans rights and lives, fire them and send them to a leper colony with all the other lepers to die. Govt isnt all bad but does have faults.

·
Vendor
2,697 Posts
OP, rare and pricey in NM from what I can see. One in Alamogordo rebuilt.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
haven't seen that one, but following auctions i watched 3 trucks at pretty good distance from me go for 19k 6.5k and 1.5k. its amazing what a 20 year old truck with almost 300k for miles can bring at auction.

it seems a low avg now seems to be 3.5k for anything decent and that still might need freshening up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just wanted to add that if you are mechanically inclined or willing to learn (i assume most wouldnt be on here if you werent) there are a few things that i have looked out for when keeping a look out for these engines. One is a "Case" branded 4T390. This is literally a cummins engine, turbo charged, and my last one had the same bosch VE pump as the road motor. The pump specs were 116 hp at its factory setting. I went all through the pump and it indeed was the correct on-road governor. Search for 4T390 or 4T-390 and you will see the HUGE list of applications it was used in (case equipment). I recently found one that was just listed as "case motor." Went and took a look and it was on a pallet complete with pretty case yellow paint. I paid $800 and did a complete tear down as i always do. I will basically rebuild it completely to a cpl 858 spec. There is also a 4-390 but this is non-turbo and will not be useful. I found a complete factory cummins shop manual online somewhere and and have worn it out. These engines are very simple and many parts are modular you just have to be sure to build it with the right combinations, measurements, etc. I didnt know squat about them until i got on this site a few years ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
so what would be peoples thought on a fresh rebuild for 6k. knowing what things cost now days this seems reasonable. has a rebuilt ve pump and injectors and new turbo on work order. just to add the work order shown says he paid almost 11.5k

·
Registered
7 Posts
Agreed a liberal bill but as I stated I did have problems with it myself. Dont want to see muscle cars etc destroyed but a 75 Lincoln with a 460 putting out 200hp and 8mpg needs to be scrapped. 68 Camaro 350 w 390hp, no. Most here hate the EPA and it seems incredible that a rightwing prez actually enacted something that would protect American citizens but Im of the age to remember what LA looked like before smog laws. Like China now. Sometimes unfortunately the gov has to make laws for our own good cause some dont have their own safety, well being in mind or even common sense. Its for our countries own good to not have predators/clergy raping children thats why our government makes laws to tell you what you cant do. America wouldnt be what it is today without laws. Why all children back in the day used to have to have about 7 vaccinations before entering the school system. It wasnt just for their own good, it was to protect all the other children in school and extend outward to herd immunity. Why you dont see smallpox/polio etc. If a teacher/health provider/etc doesnt want to get their leprosy shot, thats their right and its fine but to protect other Americans rights and lives, fire them and send them to a leper colony with all the other lepers to die. Govt isnt all bad but does have faults.
Wow that got off topic quick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
so another question, found a case engine and the guy says it wont turn over being on an engine stand. i would take as locked up or close. spun bearing or worse. but he says no hole in block.so question is is it worth 2k hoping its rebuildable. its complete except for exhaust manifold. turbo needs rebuilding just like the rest of the engine. it was used on a stationary water pump. has the inline pump but its NOT a p7100.

comments please

1 - 20 of 23 Posts