Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
so I thought id ask, wanted to know if there is a build list for putting together a fresh engine doing a full rebuild. I have now found a few rebuildable engines and I'm going this route. I've been looking thru a lot of posts but haven't found a good build list. have a good idea what's needed but wanted to ask. i think the 250 hp recipe looks like a good way to go for a daily driver. one specific question do people think these should be balanced as far as the rotating assy.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
so I thought id ask, wanted to know if there is a build list for putting together a fresh engine doing a full rebuild. I have now found a few rebuildable engines and I'm going this route. I've been looking thru a lot of posts but haven't found a good build list. have a good idea what's needed but wanted to ask. i think the 250 hp recipe looks like a good way to go for a daily driver. one specific question do people think these should be balanced as far as the rotating assy.
There are a bunch of these types of builds listed out in the Performance Section with Dougal having written one out right there. Performance Discussion

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
Most here dont blueprint and balance unless spinning hi rpms. Always a positive if you have the extra funding. Get a C manual and follow it. What specifics? Dougals recipes are simple(quality turbo and fueling) and have been spot on from my personal experience.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
thanks for the comments, I'm starting to get it on the builds. i didn't know if there are little things that make a build more successful. i know the stock stuff is good but sometimes there are details that show up after several people do things and have things come up or happen. making more power than intended has its own results and things that go wrong that can be avoided by sharing info.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
thanks for the comments, I'm starting to get it on the builds. i didn't know if there are little things that make a build more successful. i know the stock stuff is good but sometimes there are details that show up after several people do things and have things come up or happen. making more power than intended has its own results and things that go wrong that can be avoided by sharing info.
Yeah, this is not really a performance oriented forum. I get the feeling that most are like I am; they are pragmatic about things. Lots of orthodoxy here.

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
KDP, 3200 spring, and a block of wood when turning up the fuel. If oil pressures good, no leaks and good on a blowby test I do the above and a decent turbo and run the chit out of it. Reliable engines. Sometimes a main thrust bearing needs addressed. I use the piston fuel pumps over the stock for my own peace of mind. Caterpillar micron fuel filters and the biggest Donaldson that will fit. There are members on here running higher performance engines. Most here are like me, tune their motors cause its easy to get the hp/torque without breaking the bank(or free).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been looking for a 4bt for 6 months now. it seems that 4k for an engine is very common now. what are people seeing for a good price now and how is the availability. i live in New Mexico and there doesn't seem to be many here. that or i haven't found the places.

Thanks
Hi, I live in Southern California and will have one available by the first week of January if you are still looking.
currently paired with a Turbo350. Open to selling the whole package, or just the engine.

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Use caution, first post, SoCal4BT just joined 27 minutes ago...

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
Appreciate the offer but i have found a local shop that has an engine. I'm working with him on getting the machine work done and finding all the parts i need. looks like i have a wintertime project now.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
need some help here. on the engine im looking at it came out of a skid loader or a pump or who knows. anyway the pump it has is a Case Industrial Bosch inline pump 86118877 & F 002 A0Z 064 & PES4A95D320/3RS2927

looks like the governor is probably steady state running and not a road governor. is this thing usable or worth trying to trade or sell towards a P7100. i do have the option of getting a VE pump instead if i remember right. haven't seen the timing case but it mounts like a p7100 so would the front cover take the p pump as it is or not.

looking at the listing i found for the pump i think its an A3000 with a rsv gov and its emission certified.

something else to add, seeing how there is a difference in gear housings has anyone made a adapter to use a ve pump with a p pump housing. just asking as i don't have parts in hand yet. i have seen that you have to change the housing for the pump if it came with a ve pump and your going to switch to a p pump. i looked up the different housings too to see the difference by pictures only.

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
I like VEs personally for simplicity/size/hp level and cold starting ease. You will need a different gear housing for the P or VE pump. Steve(Eggman) has some cast iron gear housings that fit the A pumps. He was(or has) made adapters for them to all injection pumps. So you get a cast iron gear housing that you can run all pumps(VE/A/P) without pulling gear housing off and camshaft out. Or find an A pump for the road, they are pricey. I have a road A pump but its a 6bt app. Dont have any experience turning them up but Oregon Fuel Injection does.

·
Registered
95 Ford Bronco xlt
29 Posts
so with your comment about cast iron housings i take it some are aluminum and some are the other. how hard were the iron ones to come by and is there an advantage.

stopped to talk to our local injection shop and a comment was made about a VE pump longentivity being shorter when turning on up for more power. is there any truth to this. I realize its being asked to do something it wasn't originally kinda meant to do.

one more question, does the A pump have a different gear than the P pump.

·
Vendor
2,728 Posts
Majority are aluminum, iron are more rare. Same with flywheel housings. Have seen half dozen cracked alum ones. Advantage is strength. Anytime I had a motor disassembled far enough along I would consider just for peace of mind. My 2c.

Pick your poison. Study and educate yourself. Focus on intended use. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

Char or another member may be able to help on gear. One may have keyway and one may not, IDK

21 - 38 of 38 Posts