Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an option to buy a 4bt with a 4 speed bread van. Thing is the engine has a knock. The guy wants $850 for the VAN. How much would it cost me to rebuild this thing on my own with all CUMMINS parts. Im not in a hurry to get the engine together or anything so down time isnt an issue. Also where could I get the parts? Im not sure what is wrong with the engine so give me a few scenarios please. I have not heard it run all he told me was it had a knock.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Try google or ripbay

Rebuild kits are around a 1400 bucks in canada and more than likely half that in the states.
If it is a pin knocking you should have an easy fix. If it is the crank - you need to add in the cost on having the crank turned.
850 is a decent price if the block is not a total pile of pooh.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's really hard to say,but i have spent over $5000.00 on overhauling my 4BT which i used aftermarket parts where ever i could.It probably could have been cheaper just to use it as a core and get a rebuild from Cummins.
Sergio.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would highly recommend just finding a better engine. Your time is money, and after you throw new parts at it, you would be better off finding a better or new engine.

The lure of buying something cheap, and fixing it up for little money is a myth. I wished I would have just bought a better engine first, then I would be money ahead.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I have an option to buy a 4bt with a 4 speed bread van. Thing is the engine has a knock. The guy wants $850 for the VAN. How much would it cost me to rebuild this thing on my own with all CUMMINS parts. Im not in a hurry to get the engine together or anything so down time isnt an issue. Also where could I get the parts? Im not sure what is wrong with the engine so give me a few scenarios please. I have not heard it run all he told me was it had a knock.

Thanks in advance.
Hard to say ,take a chance and see what you get .The worst case you have extra parts .

Scott

·
Registered
720 Posts
Aluminum body?

$850?

you'll get that back in scrap. at the least you'll have parts, as stated. If you have space for an engine-tranny.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think you should just tell me where the van is located. I need the flywheel. It will cost you $billions to rebuild it.:D

Seriously, if you are looking to build it, you can easily make that money back in scrap cash.

I'll drive right to VA for the flywheel....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Rebuild kits are commonly a little over $500. Pretty stout crank, not likely in need of turning.

Never know: if it's a guy that knows nothing about diesels he might think it has a knock but just doesn't know what a 4bt sounds like!

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Gotta agree with what's been said here. At $850 you'd be able to scrap the body / frame and probably make a profit.

I think JimmieD might have something there..

Unless you're familiar with diesels, and specifically with these B series Cummins, you'd think the thing is coming unglued if you were comparing it to say a Duramax or Powerstroke or even older indirect injection engines.

If it's not too far from the house, I'd say go and take a listen. May be purring like a kitten and the current owner doesn't realize it.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I agree with Machman. Go start it. It might run great. Just say 'yeh, this thing is hammering like the hounds of hell, I'll guess I could give you $500 for scrap' Then drive it home.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
$850 for the scrap alluminum? What are you guys getting per pound for the alluminum? Sounds a bit high to me?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
$850 for the scrap alluminum? What are you guys getting per pound for the alluminum? Sounds a bit high to me?
I don't know what it's going for in your area, but folks in the past have been able to get over $1K for the scrap metal in the vans.

Of course, your mileage may vary, not to be taken internally, externally, or existentially, this post AS IS..

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Buying a van for cheap and cutting it up for scrap is a bit of work and often times you can sell them complete without engine for considerably more than scrap price. Price per pound anyone? Your dollar amounts seem high???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cleaned sheet is bring .60 a pound in Youngstown.

I wouldn't doubt theres 1500 to 2500 pounds of aluminum there. 2000 pounds would get 1200 bucks :D

Cars are bringing 240 a ton right now. :eek: makes it hard to buy a used cheap car

·
Registered
915 Posts
Those things can have fuel knock as well, which is a fairly cheap fix so long as there is no damage to the pistons. Those engines are pretty solid and it could have nothing more than a bad injector. You could do a tear down if you have the time and check it all out. Worst case is you have to rebuild and best case is it is perfectly fine and you put a new set of gaskets and injectors then go 200K miles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts