Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Does anyone know the part number for the counter balancer for the 4bt??
When did Cummins start using the counter balancer? I don't know if my motor (CPL 857) has one or not. How do I find out?

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have two CPL 857's installed in my trucks. Neither has the Balancer.

Pull the oil pan. If you have a balancer it will be obvious mounted inside. Its large, cant be missed.

From my reading, I am of the opinion the balancer was used on certain CPL Stationary Application Engines such as Pump, generators etc.

Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
Can this still be bought through Cummins?

As far as how much room it takes up in the oil pan, does it require a special oil pan or just a stock one?
The balancer is in the Parts Catalog. I have never seen one and cant answer any questions. GIve your local Cummins a call, but I bet you better sit down before they give you a price LOL

Paul

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think if it doesn't have a full length deep sump pan then I will not have room for the balancer.

The automotive style pans are a dead giveaway fer no balancer

The bolt on balancer pans holds a butt load of oil and usually will not work in the auto application because of the needed area for cross members and whatnot.

Oh yah,...Did I mention the word "I think" at the front of this post,.......... :dustin:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Last quote I heard on price of balancer kit was around $2,500. That buys a whole lot of diesel fuel, enough for maybe 25,000 miles of driving!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts