Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Here is a close up of the feed pump housing mating surface:

and a few of the housing, not the best but you can see some markings around the timing/cold start piston hole:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I think if you can buy a new cam (they're engine specific so you probably can't use a VW one) and get new or good used rollers you'll be fine. Not sure I follow you on what spring is missing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I found this picture at vwdieselparts.com, this thread has a great step by step sequence of pump dis-assembly/re-assembly. So when I pulled the cam plate out of my pump this is the spring that was missing:

Looking at the other parts that need to be replaces I would like to get some prices on what the damaged parts will cost but I can't seem to find a parts diagram with part numbers, also I'll need to find a bosch parts distributor. Well the search continues.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hiya Bahndo!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. A few points come to mind.
1) Bear in mind I haven't been in one of these for about 8 years, so the edges are blurred a tad.

2) The head and rotor assembly is a vey tight fit, so hose the rotor down with wd or whatever and keep it in the head to protect it from damage and temperature changes.

3) there is a collar that rides on the rotor and connects via a tiny ball to the gov. lever assembly. Be sure that there are no traces of varnish on the rotor or inside diameter of this collar. They WILL hang up, and the engine WILL RUN AWAY! And you will then sob.

4) Remove the big triangular headed plug on the rear of the head that resides inside the circle of delivery valve holders. You'll notice (Hopefully) a sharp sealing edge machined into the plug. This is what seals the pumping chamber. If it is rounded over or pitted, the pumping plunger will not seal properly and the engine will never run right. It's not neccesary to have a razor's edge, but if it looks like the butter knife junior's been hacking up sticks with, pitch it. Same goes for the area where this edge seals to the rotor head. A slight discoloration on the head is cool, but if it is all scored and pitted up, it's an anchor.

5) I'm thinking maybe, possibly the "Missing" spring was used as a damper on high speed motors such as the VW or Volvo, but don't take that as gospel because I may well be mistaken. You can look at the driveshaft and camplate to see if there is a circular wear mark where the spring once lived. Keep in mind it may be possible the pump was once removed, found to be crap, and then hastily reinstalled, thus losing a part here or there.

6) You used to be able to get just rollers, and the camplate, as mentioned, is calibration specific. Be sure to chech your delivery valves, as the bottom two likely have pits from water damage.

7) Don't even bother with the overflow valve, just pitch it and get a new one.

Sorry to sound like the harbinger of injection pump death. Good luck!

Later,
SS

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was out of town when you added these pics, tried to log in from a friends computer but something wouldn't let me do that... Anyway, that spring likely broke and was ground to bits inside there, common from what I understand. You can get the camplate and rollers and return springs etc. No problem there. But the housing looks like it has some serious damage. You may want to look for a better candidate. Just a guess but I would bet a couple hundred or more for the cam plate and rollers and spring etc. Then will it run with all the grooves etc inside? Your call for sure. Price the parts and make up your mind...

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Your housing looks perfectly fine to me, nothing contacts the housing except the OD of the feed pump and the timing advance piston. I don't see how marks or corrosion in the housing would have an iota of impact on pump performance unless the area where the feed pump seats is badly corroded.

Like southernstyle wrote I do not believe that spring is in the cummins VE pumps. I haven't found one in the few pumps I've torn into.

The parts should not be that bad. I think you will be best off fixing what you have than buying another mystery pump.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I bit the bullet and picked up a rebuilt pump for $500. Not too bad I suppose if the internals were going to cost me a couple hundred to rebuild the one I had. I would have to say I am really glad that I tore into this one myself because I really got a good look at all the parts and a better understanding of how it all works. Also I will have no hesitation about going into another one when the time comes. Thanks for the advice and the wealth of information, hopefully this new pump runs smoothly for many miles.
-Bahndo

21 - 27 of 27 Posts