Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here`s my dilema. I have an `87 4BT from a genset. The CPL is 079. It is my understanding that these CPL`s are engine purpose specific but parts from other CPL`s can be used. Is this true? The injection pump used is a CAV and not meant for street use. Any information anyone can provide about this question and a good parts source (as I need a PE Injection pump and few other misc. parts) located in the NW or wherever, will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
1.The genset engine are made to run at set rpm !
2. The CPL is for parts ect and other parts will fit that engine even if they have a different CPL # .There might be a few parts different but for the most part they will be the same.

Parts

Cummins,offroad equipment dealers,farm equipment ect.

·
Banned
427 Posts
when you change parts from one cpl to another there goes you engine life. cpl.s are made to make engines run clean and last forever. i run 855 cu.in. cummins for 25 yrs and all the old guys said leave it alone and keep it stock. well i didntlisten and would have to do a over haul at half the milage they were and they all got better fuel milage that me. well i finally wised up and left it stock and was 100% happyer.....
jmo
bob

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,680 Posts
CPL stands for "Control Parts List". The conponents that are controlled by the CPL are the injection pump, camshaft, cylinder head, injectors, pistons, turbocharger and the exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
CPL stands for "Control Parts List". The conponents that are controlled by the CPL are the injection pump, camshaft, cylinder head, injectors, pistons, turbocharger and the exhaust manifold.
Yes, quite possible it has a different cam profile for stationary use. You might have to change cam, injectors, injection pump, & turbo to use it for the street, but I think the head and pistons wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I would only change the pump and injector lines to the Bosch VE style used on road vehicles. Sell the CAV pump and lines on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts