Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What if the motor does not have its tag?? I read somewhere that if it did not have it, it could be stolen? Any ideas??

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Yes,
This could be true ,most just come loose or it's a reman.Take the time and search,this has been talked about a lot

CrewCab59

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The bt is still in the bread van. That is a good sign right?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok shoud be fine I guess.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Sometimes even the van vin# will not help, as was my case. The van mine came from was a gasser from the factory then re-powered some time later. The division or company who did the re-power is now defunct and I can't find any info. I called Cummins Tech support and they told me none of the B series engines have a block s/n stamped anywhere. I have heard some people say the s/n might be stamped on the back side of the head but Cummins disputes this. Besides it makes no sense to stamp a block s/n onto a head, the same would hold true for the engine ID tag being mounted onto the gear case. I asked Cummins about this too and they didn't know what to say.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Of course it's very important to establish a very sound paper trail when building a project vehicle. It won't help much in recovering your losses if you accidently bought stolen parts, but it will keep you out of the hoosegow [how the heck do you spell that?].

I have never had a law enforcement officer inspect my engine number, but not to say it couldn't happen. Also I didn't go down to DMV and tell them I installed a Cummins in my truck either, and never had them ask. I would guess that the main problems might show up on a later model vehicle still under smog regulations, with no potential problems on an older vehicle that's smog exempt? Still, the CPL number is handy for parts sourcing.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts