Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up with two front and rear seals since I ended up buying a lower gasket set (Federal Mogul) after I bought a front and rear seal from Cummins. Do any of you prefer one over the other? The Federal rear seal looks like a better seal to me than the Cummins OEM but that's just an observation. Just to make sure of install procedure, the plastic seal guide slips OVER the crank end and the open part of the seal faces the engine, correct? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If you look at your seal ,you'll have the metal face and the rear open.The plastic sleave is to install it,don't remove it or touch the seal with your fingers.

Now the steel part of the seal will always face out and the metal install ring ( they are ok to use ) the plastic sleave will slide over the crank and will push out the front once the seal has meet the crank.The metal ring tool will be flush with the cover when it's all the way in.

The front and rear seal are installed the same way.

The cheaper seals won't come with the metal ring or the plastic sleave.

I hope that helps ,hard to say what I just do without thinking about it.

One other thing to do ,when the old seal is out look a the sealing surface .I have seen some that the seal was so bad we had to use a ready sleave to fix the crank .

The seals don't have to be Cummins to be good,I know there will be somone that won't buy anything but Cummins parts.

Crewcab59

·
Registered
7 Posts
I ended up with two front and rear seals since I ended up buying a lower gasket set (Federal Mogul) after I bought a front and rear seal from Cummins. Do any of you prefer one over the other? The Federal rear seal looks like a better seal to me than the Cummins OEM but that's just an observation. Just to make sure of install procedure, the plastic seal guide slips OVER the crank end and the open part of the seal faces the engine, correct? Thanks.
If you dont mind me asking where did you get the Federal Mogal set and what do they go for ?
Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bob - I got the set at the local machine shop that honed the bores and cleaned up the deck. Don't remember the exact price but I'm thinking $60 or so? Crewcab - thanks, got it on, no problem. I used the FM seal. Finally got the engine buttoned up and ready to start tearing the F150 apart today to do chassis restore, D44 straight axle up front, 9" rear, flat bed and 4B install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts