Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen several people request a "Swap Checklist" especially new folks, I didn't find one in the stickys here so I threw one together, feel free to PM me suggestions or another one if you have it.

Or point the obvious one out if I've missed it. ;)

This list is generic so when you decide on a vehicle and/or an engine copy and edit the list as needed (paste it into MS Word, Excell, whatever Apple uses, etc).

Doing a 2WD? Delete all the stuff about T-Case, Front Drive Shaft, Front Differential, etc.

Doing a 6X6? Add lines for the extra rear axle, brakes, drive shaft, etc.

Hate electrics? Delete all the electrical and add stuff for air start, like air tanks, air lines, air starter, control valve and/or linkage, and a hand / foot pump to recharge the tanks in a couple days of pumping just in case you run out of air charge. ;)

Please use this list with caution and feel free to use it to inspect or do maintenance BEFORE the swap.

Anyone reading this forum for any length of time has seen too many people get neck deep in their swap only to have unplanned, required, pre-existing maintenance ruin their day. :( (Don’t be that guy)

I don’t mention firewall, oil pan, hood or transmission clearance in the list as in my humble opinion that’s part of building the mounts.

I have included in parens () suggestions as to what you may want to track with each item, if you intend to use that, delete them and type in what you have. That’s especially useful to have later for maintenance and part sourcing (plus you can post it and help some of the newbs that are looking to do the same, we were all new once ;) ).

All standard disclaimers apply (swaping is dangerous, don't drop your vehicle, engine, etc on yourself or weld something critical if you don't know how, get help when necessary, etc).

Happy Swapping and good luck. :D

o Vehicle (What kind, check for rust and basic maintenance required)
o Engine (Run it, compression test, oil pressure, etc)
o Engine Mounts (What cushions?)
o Transmission (Manual or auto, brand, model, gear ratios, mechanically check it as best you can)
o Transmission Mount (What cushion)
o Flywheel Housing (If equipped and what pattern)
o Flywheel and Bolts
o Starter (From what, brand, P/N)
o Trans / Flywheel Adapter (If required, what pattern and from who or where)
o Clutch or Torque Converter (As is appropriate, size, type, stall speed, etc)
o Transfer Case (Make, model, slip yoke eliminator Y/N)
o Front Drive Shaft (Length, joint number, double cardan Y/N)
o Front Axle / Differential (Type, D44, D60, locker, Truetrac, etc)
o Front Gear Ratio ___________________________
o Front Tire Size_____________________________
o Front Suspension (Stock, change, Solid Axle Swap, etc)
o Front Brakes (Stock or upgrade)
o Rear Drive Shaft (Length, joint number, double cardan Y/N)
o Rear Axle / Differential (Type, 14B, AAM 1150, D70, locker, posi, etc)
o Rear Gear Ratio_____________________________
o Rear Tire Size_______________________________
o Rear Suspension (Stock or upgrade)
o Rear Brakes (Stock or upgrade)
o Fuel Tank (OE or aftermarket)
o Fuel Pickup (Pickup “straw” no screens, add/use sump or baffles?)
o Fuel Tank Vent (Cap or remote, if remote use something to keep the bugs and trash out)
o Fuel Plumbing (OE, or new, hose, tube, clamps, fittings, minimize number of joints)
o Fuel Filler (Stock or relocated, use something rated for diesel)
o Fuel Sedimenter (Something to catch the big gobs before the lift pump)
o Fuel Filter (After lift pump, OE or aftermarket)
o Lift Pump (OE or aftermarket, if aftermarket is it electric Y/N)
o Belt Drive Accessories (Pulleys, brackets, Alt, AC, PS, Air Comp, etc)
o Gear Drive Accessories (PS, Vac Pump, Air Comp, etc)
o Balancer (If equipped, or add)
o Water Pump (Some brands have options for outlet and rotation)
o Turbocharger (Brand, type/size, mods, 1 or more, etc)
o Exhaust Manifold (Where does it put the turbo and will it fit there?)
o Exhaust (What size and will it clear what’s around it?)
o Muffler (Y/N, if Yes, what brand and type)
o Heat Shielding (Heat shields, “header wrap,” turbo blanket, etc)
o Turbo oil feed (OE or aftermarket, where do you source the oil?)
o Turbo Oil Drain (OE, or aftermarket, where to?)
o Air Filter (OE, aftermarket, snorkel Y/N)
o Plumb Air Filter to Turbo (Tubing, boots, clamps)
o Plumb Turbo to Charge Cooler (Tubing, boots, clamps)
o Plumb Charge Cooler to Engine Intake (Tubing, boots, clamps)
o Charge Cooler (Y/N, dimensions, water, air, what from or universal?)
o Charge Cooler Mount (Brackets & vibration isolators)
o Radiator (OE or aftermarket, dimensions, outlet locations)
o Radiator Mount (Brackets and Vibration Isolators, Stock?)
o Radiator Fan (Y/N, electric or mechanical)
o Fan Shroud (Make one or OE)
o Upper Radiator Hose
o Lower Radiator Hose
o Heater Hoses (Y/N, from where to where, size, hose & clamps)
o Bypass Hose (If equipped)
o Shutdown Control (Electric or mechanical)
o Instruments (Pyrometer, Boost, Oil Press, Temp, Tach, etc)
o Wiring Engine (Starter, shutdown, alternator, computer?)
o Wiring Instruments (Senders, wiring on engine, any converter boxes)
o Wiring Vehicle (Lights, fans, charging system, instruments in the dash)
o Battery(s)
o Battery Mount (Tray and tie down)
o Grounds (Chassis, engine and cab)
o Electric Bonding (Bed to frame, fuel tank to frame, etc)
o Shifters (Transmission, T-Case, T-Case range, Axle range, etc)
o Brake Master Cylinder
o Brake Proportioning / Combination Valve
o Brake Booster (Vacuum or hydro, from where, Ford Truck, Chevy Astro Van, etc)
o Brake Plumbing (Fittings, hard lines and hoses, remote reservoir if equipped)
o Brake Control (Pedal, booster mount, bell cranks or pivots, return springs)
o Clutch Control (Pedal, mechanical linkage, hydraulic master/hose/slave, ???)
o Accelerator (Pedal, linkage, cable, return springs)

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
How should I build this diesel conversion???

We see a lot of questions here in the forum about what parts to get next to complete some step of a build, after having purchased some other parts. Or folks starting threads like, "I have a XXX truck and I want to put a diesel in, how should I do it?".

I mention often, READ THE STICKIES, especially the FAQ's! There's a huge amount of info tucked away there and all it takes is some concerted mouse-clicking and reading to discover it. I'll also keep repeating that BobS did us all a tremendous favor, GIGANTIC, by taking countless hours of his own valuable time and donating it in order to organize all that for our ease of use. I for one appreciate it beyond words to describe!

It seems that almost none of the folks posting as described above have gone to the trouble of writing up graphic, written build plans, listing planned components in detail. That is a WRITTEN PLAN, as in WRITTEN PLAN! Component ideas can come from other's projects in the Buildup Showcase section and the FAQs etc.

It's much easier, much more enjoyable to follow a Written Plan during the course of the build. This includes writing down a few little items, such as describing engine, engine overall dimensions, exact engine model/type/serial number [plus CPL if it's Cummins], injection pump exact model/type/mfgr, KSB if used, motor mounts to frame or chassis, engine isolator rubber motor mounts, drawings & measurements for engine mounting, fuel lines size, fuel filter mfgr/model, fuel lift pump mfgr/type, block heater or grid heaters mfgr/model, grid heater controls, engine belts, hose size mfgr/number, thermostat type/mfgr/number, radiator type/size, intercooler I/C model/size, I/C hoses/piping/size, I/C clamp mfgr/model/size, turbo mfgr/model/number, turbo size both ends, turbo clamps, downpipe, exhaust size, transmission mfgr/model & type/series, trans ratios, trans dimensions, trans shaft size & spline count, trans mounts, U-joint or slip-yoke model/type, spline count, engine to bellhousing adapter plate, bellhousing mfgr/model, flywheel type & exact size, flywheel tooth count, clutch size & mfgr, pressure plate size & type, clutch release/throwout bearing, input shaft pilot bearing mfgr/number/size, hydraulics for master & slave, hydraulic line size, shift linkage, starter, starter relay, starter wire gauge & wiring & components, needed crossmembers, driveshaft dimensions & u-joints/spline count, axles mfgr/model/type, spline counts & u-joints, axle ratio, brake size/type, caliper model/number, disc model/number & size or drum mfgr model/size, brake pads or shoes, brake master, brake lines & tees, brake proportioner valve, brake assist type/model etc, brake assist pump [hydraulic/hydroboost], chassis spring type/size/dimensions, shocks mfgr/model/size, steering box, power steering pump/model/type, P/S lines, A/C specs pump, refrigerant, evap/cond/lines, basic chassis wiring layout and diagrams [both power and ground return], exact wire size/type, terminals/connectors, specific electrical components & devices, wheel and tire sizes etc.

That's a few, but by no means all of the things that may be directly involved in a swap. Every swap is unique. Possibly the above could be copied then split out to list as line items.

Having a written plan divided up into sections to be addressed one by one is the key to an enjoyable build sequence. It keeps you on track continually, organizes much or all of your parts needs, and allows you to double and triple check that various parts will actually work together. Also very handy if the project gets interrupted as so often happens.

Choosing the proper parts is important but overall, the single most important aspect of a successful build is to chose the correct gear ratios and final drive ratios combined with tire size. Nohing else has such a dramatic effect on the driveability of the finished product as GEARS, GEARS, GEARS!

A written plan is only the start. It gives a much clearer perspective of just what all is involved in a build and may help you decide if a build is even something you should undertake in the first place? Finally, it can be a ready reference for future use, to help you remember exactly what parts are what, in case of needed repairs or replacement.

Give yourself a WRITTEN PLAN, then research it all and give it some long hard thought before you leap in up to your neck, or - - - over your head?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.