Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange fetish for old micro cars and any other obscure old machine that only weird folks like my self would want to own. That, along with a touch of A.D.D., I am always looking for another project when I haven't finished the last one. This project will get sold to help fund my '47 Dodge. bounce

So, a friend of mine told me about this car a few years back. He stated that it was tucked away in a barn at the restoration shop that he worked for. It wasn't for sale until a few months back, so I went to have a look. Being the dumb--- that I am, I negotiated a deal for this bucket of bolts and started loading it in my work van.

Here are some pics of what I saw in the barn....a pile of parts that look like a pile of ....

Here is the tub, standing on it's nose. The dump bed is behind it.

The little dump bed

piles of parts...

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More stuff...

Here is the frame, loaded in my van.

getting parts organized at home.

spare bore blocks..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, right after I picked this thing up in the fall, I stripped the frame and painted it and some chassis parts...then assembled what I had painted.

Here is the body

The dump bed

Inside of the tub

That is as far as I got when the 4bt in my M715 took a dive. I had to shove this project in a corner to fit the M715 in the garage for the engine swap. Now I am back on this. I hope to have it moving along at a quick pace.

Here is a quick video I took yesterday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fRnSN3BB4Y

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
They are cute little things aren't they? First time I saw a Crosley wagon I looked long and hard for one to buy... glad that passed without acquiring one as I've got enough projects already.

Keep up the good work,

Grigg

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are cute little things aren't they? First time I saw a Crosley wagon I looked long and hard for one to buy... glad that passed without acquiring one as I've got enough projects already.

Keep up the good work,

Grigg

Thanks! They are cute little things. The problem is that you can literally shove the whole project in the corner of a toolshed....It takes up no space at all when you pile all of the part into the tub! It's tough to turn them away.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Getting a bit frustrated dealing with the few parts suppliers out there. Since I dragged this thing home a few months back, I have contacted several Crosley parts places. Some of them have a voicemail when I call, I leave a message and get no call back. Others, I call and talk with someone, give them a list of stuff that I need....offer my credit card number and then they don't call back. It's not like I can just wander in to NAPA and buy a master cylinder for this thing. I just want to get this thing assembled!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Talk about one off build

You are going oil burner right

Would be a shame to not build it with original motor as it is pretty rare

Local guy has duetz 2 cylinder??

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talk about one off build

You are going oil burner right

Would be a shame to not build it with original motor as it is pretty rare

Local guy has duetz 2 cylinder??

I have to find the picture I took with the Crosley sitting next to a 12 valve on a stand, and me with my sawzall and torch in my hands....Don't kid yourself, if the stock engine is messed up beyond repair, anything could happen after that ;-) Project- FrankenCrosley.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cut out some perforation in the floor and welded a patch panel in. Today I fabricated and installed new grill bars that were cut out by the previous owner. A little more grinding, then some filler work to smooth it all out, and she'll be lookin' good.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Very COOL build. Nice work.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Mike-I know NOTHING about the workings of these--are they supposed to idle that high? If so what is the drive design? Can you post a pic of what its supposed to look like completed? I personally REALLY like its looks. "Typical" Jeeps have 7 slat grills. My DJ'ified project is going to have 5. It looks different enough for people to ask "Exactly, what is it-I know its a Jeep, but what is it!?" Your Crosley looks like the next step in that progression! It could be the EJ5!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The idle is fixed now. It was idling high due to no return spring on the carb linkage. That has been remedied, along with a muffler installation to calm it down some. Ran into some troubles with the brakes yesterday. I went to bleed the system and the right rear wheel cylinder was dripping at the line fitting. I gave it a little extra love with the line wrench, and stripped it. Brand new wheel cylinder, and I have to drill/tap it for a larger fitting. I would like to drive this thing by the weekend.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Interesting! My very first ever car was a '47 Crosley Hotshot Roadster. It was a race car and had turned 89 mph on the road course at the old Cotati Raceway.

It had the Crosley SOHC 4 cyl. with dual SU's, lots of engine work. I was told that Crosley sold the Mfg. Rights, Licensing and Patents for that OHC engine to Kiekhaefer Marine Corp. and that this engine became the famed Mercury 100 outboard. Raced extensively, could dry tune them at 10,000 RPM!!!! Rather incredible motors and very unique cars.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting engines for sure. Mine just quit running all together. Apparently the timing gears on the crankshaft jumped. I went from a good running engine to no compression. Time to pull the pan down and see what failed. Meh.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts