Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I doing a quick search but I need some info fast! I found a cruise control unit for my old Ford van, but I don't want to purchase it if it is not feesable with the 4BT. It is vacuum operated.

The cruise control would be the only thing I need vacuum for, as this van is old. I'm planning on using the hydro boost brake set up off the P30.

Would it be a dumb move to have a vacuum pump just for cruise control?

What other options do I have for cruise control? I need it because of my leg injuries.

I'm sure this has been discussed and I will continue to search.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do the vacuum pumps run, and are they readily available? If you guys think the best way to go is electric, then that is what I will do.

What I like about this unit is Ford manufactures it. I have had aftermarket cruise controls in the past and they worked like crap. Those things would go slow up the hills and too fast down them.

·
Registered
57 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
The Proffitts cruisers guys have had luck with the cheapo aftermarket vacuum canister cruiser controls. They use a magnet on your driveshaft.. JC Whitney carries a few models, from $100 up it seems. This is my plan, see how 'cheap' it is... But I do know they work with 4BTs at least from the start...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, what kind of vacuum does a cruise control need? I'm thinking regular cruise controls use manifold vacuum for a reason, but I'm not sure about that. If it needs manifold vacuum specifically, then I'm kind of screwed!

Thanks for the link to that vacuum pump. Those GMC motorhomes are cool! Did you see the stretched GMC?

Chris

·
Registered
126 Posts
The regular cruise controls use the vacuum to actuate the throttle, I assume the electronic ones use some type of servo motor or something like that.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
GM had a 12volt pump that was discontinued and is now available aftermarket.

OEM AC-Delco # 215-119 was discontinued, you may find it at the junk yards though. Standard Motor Products p/n VCP-103 is the replacement manufacturer, last check the price was just under $150.00

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
For $300.00 you sure can get a nice electronic only speed control. Try Dakota Digital. Then you don't have to mess with vacuum at all.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Sdstriper, I'll look into that!

Mooktank, you know, my van does have a factory manual choke set up and working right now! I could keep the factory look!

The 4BT in a 5000 pound van shouldn't have to work to hard to maintain freeway speeds. That might be the best way to do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've had great success with ROSTRA (1983-2001), 2 vacuum and one w/ combined electric servo and electronics (installed them myself). Well worth the price, only problem I ever had was tearing the magnets off drive shaft while 4 wheeling. Easy fix if you have spare magnets and a tiewrap. The all electric version performed well and was accurate in its performance. Quick search revealed these for prices http://www.mnrelectronics.com/uncrco.html. Bought mine from United speedometer years ago, http://www.speedometershop.com/ They were very informative and know this product.
Doug

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
sorry I mispoke, the cheapo JC Whitney ones are electronic too, no vacuum required...

·
Registered
645 Posts
Second on the super duty electric vac pumps. they used them for the HVAC controls, it ties into a metal canister to give it some ballast. Cheapo at the scrapper.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys...I'll look into the Super Duty pumps. Thanks for all of the other suggestions as well.

Chris

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could always install some sort of mechanical throttle lock with a cable. It's how they do it on my dad's military hummer. Diesels keep their speed pretty well I think.

I dont think this will stop anybody on this board, it didn't stop me on my Jeep:grinpimp: , but the mechanical throttle is ILLEGAL. It can also be dangerous. We called these SUICIDE cruise controls back in the day. Theres nothing like forgetting about it and hitting the brake and the vehicle doesn't slow down.:rasta:

·
Vendor
2,651 Posts
I thought like EMIEVIL, that they used man. vac. and agree with Mook about manual and have used one for a long time. Can be dangerous like rabbit said, wonder if you could have a release pawl when brakes or clutch hit to make a little safer? Have thought about it but never came up with anything worth wasting my time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts