Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thrown a lot of Diesel engines in things but im against a wall here i am currently building a resto mod 1953 olds rockett 88 with a IBB 3.9l 170 with an allison transmission i purchased two engines and transmissions as frame cutouts from Freightliner MT35 the ECM P/N is 4898112. My problem currently is the wiring the harness were cut at the bulkhead and i have found little info for diagrams besides a $650 subscription to Diamler.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
162 Posts
Get the ESN number off the ECM and enter it in Quickserve website. The Cummins website will give you everything for the engine. As for the transmission, you will need to search around on Allison manuals.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
We've had several members do that engine combo and yes it can be daunting without the complete wiring harness. I believe the transmission control is tied into the ECM as well. Even the accelerator pedal is drive by wire. If you have the engine serial number, you might look on Cummins Quick Serve for a replacement harness. It won't be cheap. Freightliner could be another possible source. Another woe can be the ECM itself should it be damaged. That part is very expensive.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not one but 2 frame cut MT 35 engine transmission with entire harness and TCM for allison i have built the car its a 1953 olds 88 rocket front half of the frame is 64 impala has a 14 bolt FF rear. Hydro boost disc brakes ........ any how i will upload some pictures. I am in search of a diagram or a custom drawn diagram of this configuration with throttle control I know J1939 CAN is used.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Would be an interesting build. What have you done for the front suspension. That engine and transmission weights over 1100 lbs.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy C10, Cummins ISB170, Allison 1000 5 speed, full float 9”, ECU Tune, 5/7” static drop
162 Posts
I have not one but 2 frame cut MT 35 engine transmission with entire harness and TCM for allison i have built the car its a 1953 olds 88 rocket front half of the frame is 64 impala has a 14 bolt FF rear. Hydro boost disc brakes ........ any how i will upload some pictures. I am in search of a diagram or a custom drawn diagram of this configuration with throttle control I know J1939 CAN is used.
On quickserve go to the service tab, then manuals tab, they look at wiring diagrams. Diagram 3666483.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i tried and made an account and all it just wants me to purchase one for like 50.00 which is fair but they want to ship it??? lol idk

·
Registered
162 Posts
i tried and made an account and all it just wants me to purchase one for like 50.00 which is fair but they want to ship it??? lol idk
I’m not sure then, I log into quickserve and open the diagram.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Fxsu, there is more than one Quick Serve account. The free one doesn't have the same access as a paid one. If yours is the free account, what were the exact steps you clicked on to get diagrams.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got the engine Diagram and have started the harness i got the ECM plug figured out and the CAN i am now working toward the Allison TCM connector it appears as though the TCM communicates with the ECM VIA J CAN. and a speed sensor twisted pair. I have a few unsolved questions though there is a plug off from the transmission plugs that appears to be somthing to due with the fuel system maybe a waster sensor and heater but i got possibly tail lights to ? the fuse box is still attached but not labeled. The harness was cut off in the frame at this was a frame cut MT-35 freightliner. i already bought the chassis repair PDF and it does not have anything in there is says to Refer to Diamler/Ez wiring. That appears to requre a fleet subscription of alot of $$$$$. any diagrams out there or thoughts.
IMG_0698.jpg

·
Registered
162 Posts
Fxsu, there is more than one Quick Serve account. The free one doesn't have the same access as a paid one. If yours is the free account, what were the exact steps you clicked on to get diagrams.
On quickserve go to the service tab, then manuals tab, then look at wiring diagrams. Diagram 3666483. Not sure what else

·
Registered
162 Posts
I got the engine Diagram and have started the harness i got the ECM plug figured out and the CAN i am now working toward the Allison TCM connector it appears as though the TCM communicates with the ECM VIA J CAN. and a speed sensor twisted pair. I have a few unsolved questions though there is a plug off from the transmission plugs that appears to be somthing to due with the fuel system maybe a waster sensor and heater but i got possibly tail lights to ? the fuse box is still attached but not labeled. The harness was cut off in the frame at this was a frame cut MT-35 freightliner. i already bought the chassis repair PDF and it does not have anything in there is says to Refer to Diamler/Ez wiring. That appears to requre a fleet subscription of alot of $$$$$. any diagrams out there or thoughts. View attachment 129022 View attachment 129022
Those are the wires for the NSBU switch. It contains reverse lights, starter lockout, etc. there are also a power wire for a fuel heater that would go in the water separator filter head. The other 3 wire plug is a water in fuel indicator. The water fuel heater and water in fuel indicator are not needed, unless it’s really cold where you live. I’ll dig around and see if I can find a general Allison schematic I used. And yes the twisted pair(blue/yellow) are the speedo. The Allison gets its TPS via the J1939 signal out the ECU.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nice greatly appreciated i love your build i was wondering i see your you have an oil cap there on the valve cover did you just modify the original curious of thread size.

·
Registered
162 Posts
nice greatly appreciated i love your build i was wondering i see your you have an oil cap there on the valve cover did you just modify the original curious of thread size.
Your build is nice also.👍 . My engine can with a fill tube in the cap. I just to the fill tube off the cap and cut the nipple. Then took some 1/8” aluminum and welded it on top.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thats what i thought i broke my tig (ESAB rebel) and i am building a house right no so money is tight.

·
Registered
162 Posts
It’s Allison drawing ES3213EN. My copy is really blurry and will not produce a readable photo. Maybe you can find on google, but Allison locks things down pretty tight. Ill keep looking for a digital copy

1 - 20 of 34 Posts