Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Cummins 12v to Ford zf5 clutch options?

9K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  irhunter 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have 4.5 years since my 12v conversion using a non intercooled '89 Cummins mated to a zf5 transmission. I used a flywheel off 94-98 Dodge truck (Sachs NFW7223 specifically) that I machined for a 6303-2rs bearing and used a stock clutch for a '89 F350 with a zf5 (Luk 07092). I can't find any specs but I believe it's a 12" clutch.

Anyway, I was doing something stupid and floored it while driving through some shallow flood water about 12" deep. After I got through I couldn't speed up. I couldn't use 3rd gear at all. I drove in 2nd gear low rpm and couldnt speed up or even make it up my hill in 1st gear. I had to use 4 low in order for it to not slip. I started it the next day and it still slips.

On my search for a clutch I saw that a (94.5-97) Powerstroke uses a 13" clutch. My flywheel looks to be drilled for 2 different sizes of pressure plates. My pressure plate uses the inner holes on the flywheel.

As best as I can tell South Bend uses the same flywheel that I'm using. But I have no idea if the bigger powerstroke pressure plate will bolt up to my flywheel. It looks like they use a Powerstroke clutch in their conversion kit. I was hoping to use a stock clutch and save some money.

Do you guys have any idea if it bolts up?

This is my Bronco but I used the same clutch/flywheel setup. You can see 2 sets of holes drilled. And my pressure plate bolted to inner holes.

See less See more
#3 ·
The original Dodge clutch was 12.25". When they started upping the power lever and changed to the NV5600 transmission they changed to a 13" clutch. Years ago I ordered a set from Valair which consisted of the flywheel for the 13" clutch. They machined it for the proper pilot bearing and provided the pressure plate for a Ford release bearing. They told me the Ford and Dodge pressure plates are a bit different.

#4 ·
Sorry I forgot I even made this post. I ended up using a South Bend clutch 1944-5OR made for a Powerstroke with a zf5. It bolted up perfectly to the flywheel. I had my flywheel resurfaced and put in a new pilot bearing.

I broke the center out of the old clutch.

#8 ·
In the pic above its actually my Bronco you are looking at. You can see through the starter hole a square tube. That is my motor mount. I built my own my second time around and I spent maybe $75 to make them.

First issue is I think they are overpriced. If I remember correctly they want around $100 for replacement bushings. The power steering line coming off of the pump has to be a 90 degree fitting and I still had to notch the bracket. The last issue is they dont sit on the bushings correctly. It looks like it sits at and angle and part of the bushing sits on a lip on cross member. They do work though. I bought them because I was in a hurry to finish it.

#10 ·
DCS mounts are a bit hokey. The angles usually don't match what they are installed against. They often have way too much adjustability- Makes for confusion and extra work figuring out where things need to sit. They never sit flat either. If you see one with the engine in straight there's probably washers shimming up the plates.

DCS is an install shop with a fancy website and nice people to answer the phones. They figure out how to make things work with mechanics and have a high employee turnover. They have a very limited/basic manufacturing capability and believe that investing in such is not important. They do sell a respectable amount of stuff, so they're not really wrong I guess.

#12 ·
I would say Destroked is the king of the adapter field. They are precision engineered and manufactured. They do require a few minor mods but nothing major. Need to remove a small bit of metal on the block skirt for starter clearance. Theirs are all engineered to us a Ford 6.0 diesel starter.

#15 ·
Hey,

No problem....was good to read your thoughts about Destroked. The Auto World mounts certainly look good.

My W350 mounts are still in the truck with the motor; I have the 7.3IDI mounts that came with my F350. I do wonder about combining the two.

But, I bet, when the time comes, I will just buy the AW mounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.