Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who is going to be one of the first to swap one of these into a vehicle. I hear they are releasing limited qty out now. Sounds like the price in in the 9K range which is a bit painful for such a small motor. Sure would be nice in a 1 or second gen toyota 4x4 to replace the gas 22r.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The guy that runs that program for cummins got his start on this site with a 4bt cj7 conversion. Would be nice if he could swing a special 2.8 repower-x2 4btswaps deal :D

I honestly prefer the mechanical simplicity of the 4bt a lot less to go wrong plus I have seen some of the 2.8 swaps in the magazines and on youtube and it looks like a rats nest of wires and lines in the engine bay. Most of the 4bt repowers I have seen look a lot cleaner.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There have been several builds already. I am doing a swapping a2.5 gas for a Cummins R2.8 into my 93 Jeep YJ, AX15 trans behind it. It should be a good bush buggy as well as great running around daily driver summer and winter. She will be rebuilt from the frame up, a set of 35"tires and I am even installing air conditioning.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'm definitely late to this conversation, but I read an article, (can't remember where) and it basically stated that a group of guys (who worked at this magazine) were excited about doing a swap with the new cummins 2.8 liter diesel. They started trying to find info and parts and couldn't come up with anything. They eventually found out that this thing was manufactured in China. So... they went to China. They started asking around, and what they found out wasn't good. It was basically a crappy Chinese-made engine, and it was next to impossible to get parts for the thing. They adamantly advised against anyone using this engine for anything. Don't know anything about it personally. This is just what I read. I was pretty bummed out, because I was excited about the little engine too.

·
Registered
595 Posts
i'm definitely late to this conversation, but I read an article, (can't remember where) and it basically stated that a group of guys (who worked at this magazine) were excited about doing a swap with the new cummins 2.8 liter diesel. They started trying to find info and parts and couldn't come up with anything. They eventually found out that this thing was manufactured in China. So... they went to China. They started asking around, and what they found out wasn't good. It was basically a crappy Chinese-made engine, and it was next to impossible to get parts for the thing. They adamantly advised against anyone using this engine for anything. Don't know anything about it personally. This is just what I read. I was pretty bummed out, because I was excited about the little engine too.
Can you post a link to that article?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish I could. I don't even remember if I read it in a magazine, or if it was online. I will try to find it. It was really disappointing to me, because I was really excited about that engine. That might explain at least one reason Nissan didn't continue with the idea of putting it in the Frontier.

*Edit- I did find this article. It says that some versions of the 2.8 are made in the U.S., and some are made in China. This is the first I've heard of any of these engines being made in the U.S. It talks about the issues with the Chinese made version toward the end of the article.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The castings do come from china and are used in the Foton pickup... Part of the appeal of the 4bt is that parts are widely available at almost any parts store, since the B series cummins is quite ubiquitous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts