Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me understand the real difference between Cummins 3934303 and 3918954 oil filter housings? In most cases, 3918954 oil filter housing application is listed as 1994 -1998 and 3934303 oil filter housing application is listed as 1998.5-2002. Is this correct? As far as I understand it, 24 valve blocks are essentially 12 valve blocks, but not vice versa. (I think maybe 2001 is an oddball year?) Is the difference between the oil filter housing applications actually STORM vs non-STORM blocks? It is my understanding 12 valve engines were built with STORM blocks beginning late 1997 model year. My 1998 Dodge 12 valve has a STORM block.

So.....would I use the Cummins 3934303 or the 3918954 oil filter housing on a 4BT?

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
What you are running into is the standard vs the STORM blocks. Mid '97 up were STORM blocks. Your part # 3918954 is for the older style block. STORM blocks route the oil differently. The gasket that goes on the filter plate is totally different. See photo below. 4bt blocks came in both versions as well. To tell which type block you have, look at the turbo side of it. If there are 2 large freeze plugs it is the standard block and if there is one large and one small one it's a STORM. You want the filter housing to match your block. Now I have seen STORM block 4bt with your older part with an updated number 3924338. Not exactly sure what that is about but believe it's just an updated number. You want to stick with which ever plate is designed for you block and use the correct gasket.

Attachments

·
Registered
588 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What you are running into is the standard vs the STORM blocks. Mid '97 up were STORM blocks. Your part # 3918954 is for the older style block. STORM blocks route the oil differently. The gasket that goes on the filter plate is totally different. See photo below. 4bt blocks came in both versions as well. To tell which type block you have, look at the turbo side of it. If there are 2 large freeze plugs it is the standard block and if there is one large and one small one it's a STORM. You want the filter housing to match your block. Now I have seen STORM block 4bt with your older part with an updated number 3924338. Not exactly sure what that is about but believe it's just an updated number. You want to stick with which ever plate is designed for you block and use the correct gasket.
Thanks. That's what I figured. The sites I've seen selling the oil filter housings, differentiate the two based on 12 valve vs 24 valve not STORM vs standard which is misleading. I have in my possession Cummins 3934303 housing from a 2000 STORM Mexican block. I purchased this block as a spare in case my 12 valve #53 block cracks. I haven't purchased a 4BT as of yet. I do have many parts from a 1995 12 valve than I plan to use on the 4BT.

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
Most any new 4bts you find will have the STORM block. Engines from the late '80's up into the 90's would be the standard type. I have a Cummins industrial part manual from 1998 and all those are STORM but strangely they have the older oil filter plate. Not sure if that was an error on their part or what. I have found a few engineering errors in Cummins publications.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have used a 5.9 STORM engine from a genset with the necessary Dodge/Cummins vehicle bits fitted in my OKA 4wd van here in Australia and from memory I used the earlier style oil filter plate with the correct/same gasket that was for the external oil filter plate as was fitted to the block with no problems. The engine has been fitted for a few years and lots of kilometres with no problems.

·
Registered
10,649 Posts
I think so long as you use the correct plate and gasket you are OK. Problems occur when you mix parts. A filter plate matched to the wrong gasket doesn't work. From what I know, the difference on the plates is where they route the cleaned oil returning from the filter. The older plates dump the oil back to the oil pan sump. The newer plates dump that oil back to the oil pump. I've also found most of the STORM engines have oil pumps with higher flow capacity and some even use the 7 plate cooler on the 4bt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts