Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After more research it appears to be a Fiat Power Technology or FPT diesel. I didn't know about them...
Weird 4BT.jpg 3.png

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kind of looks like the copied some features of the B series
Water pump design, Valve covers, oil cooler and filter area, intake manifold part of the head:
:
Weird 4BT.jpg 4.jpg

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
I think you'll find those engines look like a Cummins because they are built under a Cummins license. They are a sort of mixture of the old B series and the ISBe series. They use the rear gear train like the ISBe's but still have the 8 valve head and use regular injection pumps instead of common rail. Were used in lots of farm machinery. I believe Case has them in some of their units. There was a 3 cylinder model as well. Cummins made a 3bt but I've only ever seen one of those. Must be the rarest thing on the planet.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are right then maybe some of the parts do interchange? It would to know about that. A guy tried to sell one to me as a Cummins....

·
Registered
635 Posts
I've seen new Holland tractors with 4 and 6 cylinder engines that look very similar to a cummins. They have bigger blocks(as it's the frame on the tractor) and rounded valve covers like that. The other give away is that oil filter, fiat/over seas stuff. CNH is case, new Holland, ect. Very stout engines the ones we have at work. Some units have well over 5k hours.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
A good many of those engines are built by Iveco. Case/New Holland uses the model 334T/M2 which is a 3.4L 3 cylinder and the 445T/M2 which is the 4.5L 4 cylinder. Many of their parts carry multiple part #'s including Cummins. Here's a photo of an Iveco 3.4 head which is totally identical to a Cummins 4bt, just 1 less cylinder. It also carries a Cummins part # 4895802.

Attachments

·
Registered
241 Posts
Water pump design, Valve covers, oil cooler and filter area, intake manifold part of the head:
: View attachment 126457
: View attachment 126457
Is picture #6 the same motor as #5 ? In #5 the fan pulley is above the ring gear & the gear cover is on the other end of the motor , looks like every thing is messed up

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is picture #6 the same motor as #5 ? In #5 the fan pulley is above the ring gear & the gear cover is on the other end of the motor , looks like every thing is messed up
Not the same engine. Once I figured out FPT I got some more pictures off the net.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am currently running an Iveco/FPT head on a 4bt block. Many interchangable parts, very solid and reliable engines. FPT engines are found in almost all CNH equipment, along with some other equipment including vermeer chippers, generac generators...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I am currently running an Iveco/FPT head on a 4bt block. Many interchangable parts, very solid and reliable engines. FPT engines are found in almost all CNH equipment, along with some other equipment including vermeer chippers, generac generators...
interesting. was the Iveco head cheaper to buy? or was there another reason you used. it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work for a case construction dealer and robbed it from a junk skid steer engine. So it was cheap and easy to get in my situation. My engine is all sorts of miss matched parts

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
I've seen new Holland tractors with 4 and 6 cylinder engines that look very similar to a cummins. They have bigger blocks(as it's the frame on the tractor) and rounded valve covers like that. The other give away is that oil filter, fiat/over seas stuff. CNH is case, new Holland, ect. Very stout engines the ones we have at work. Some units have well over 5k hours.
That's where I've seen them too. You can tell they're related but not quite the same as normal Cummins. For a while you could find Manitou telehandlers with Cummins engines and New-Holland telehandlers which were built by Manitou with IVECO engines (licensed version of Cummins)

Iveco trucks run a whole range. At the bottom of this page: IVECO is a CNH industrial company.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
You have to remember that Case and Cummins worked together to develop the B series engines. A few years back they parted company so Cummins is no longer the supplier for their newer engines. I guess Cummins still gets some royalty payments since quite a few parts carry their part numbers.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
Iveco is an Italian company owned by CNH (Case/New Holland). They are not Cummins but have built engines with Cummins design.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts