Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some info

I picked up a Reviva 3.9 Ser 390360 PN# 55FD130A 130 HP @ 2300 RPM with SAE #2 FH and 10 spline 14" "push type" clutch.

It's obviously a rebuilt engine and very clean--unk mileage.

Does anyone know how these rebuilt engines got to 130 HP (stock?). There is no CPL for clues.

4BT LH.jpg

4BT Reviva Plate.jpg

4BT FH.jpg 4BT RH.jpg

Paul

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
Your engine is most likely a CPL1839 which has the P7100 injection pump. Stock HP is 130. The serial # you show is not the Cummins #. It would have 8 digits. Reviva is an engine rebuilder. The bellhousing probably mean it had an Eaton FS4205B transmission which is common on those engines.

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
It would be nice to know what work they did to the engine in case you ever needed to make repairs. If it had been a Cummins recon engine, the serial # would have been stamped on the back of the block just below the head. If you can get the original serial #, go to Cummins Quickserve on line and set up a basic account. It's free. Enter your ESN and it will show you every part that engine had originally. Of course, if Reviva bored it or reground the crank those parts would be different.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did call Reviva in MN this AM.

No Cpl or other info. Did say it was rebuilt in 2004 as a spare for Wonder Bread. Gave me two possible Cummins serial numbers: 45432632 or 45745802.

I inquired as to how they got to 130 HP. The response was, "Injectors and injection pump"

Reviva did say they do not go over .020 on pistons and crank.

If the engine was installed, it didn't get used much as there are no seeps or leaks anywhere, just road grunge. When engines are pressure washed, there are always areas with oil/grease that are missed. None were found.

Here is my project truck:
G506-2.jpg

and here's what I would like to shoot for:
G506 Rod.jpg

Looks like i have a winter project already to go.

Paul

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hope you got sum guns to crank it by hand like the end product pic. Yea pump does account for the extra hp but they wont turn em up without factory intercooler. What year is truck? Those are the only ones you can get are military in the 42-47 build. Not many civilian vehicles were made nice find..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The truck is a 1942 Chevy (Military ID G506) 1.5 ton 4X4. The truck has a Chevy 6 cyl that runs really great & rebuilt by gov in 1953. Will be selling complete running chassis-- lot's of hard to find parts. The 2.5 ton CCKW had the same cab.

I have a complete 1997 Chevy 3500 HD with stock 19.5 wheels and the BIG rear diff as the donor chassis. It has the 32" frame rails so just about any bed can be placed on it. It also has an Allison auto. Anyone want a complete 1997 Chevy 3500 front clip & cab for $25 ?? Serious, its in Bernalillo, NM 87102, you remove the parts.

Looking forward to getting started.

Paul

·
Registered
784 Posts
If I had that much room under the hood I would use a 6bt not the four.
I have an early carryall and went with the 4bt because of the short hood.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a Cummins 6BT 12V w/P7100 pump. The 6BT engine will be about 6" into the cab and not much room to begin with.

Thought about extending the nose and using a filler panel. When I get the donor chassis in the shop, I'll take another look at the possibility of using the 6BT. Truck needs to look symmetrical and in proportion. The 4BT would be much easier to install and I'm not looking to produce a race horse, although I do own one that is 17 hands tall and weighs in at 1480 lbs. Still growing since the stallion is only 3.5 years old.

Paul

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
Neat project. If you're going with the Allison 1000 mated to the Cummins you'll need some parts. You have an SAE2 housing on the engine. Most Allison's on B series Cummins use SAE3. Of course you'll need the matching flex plate. Also plan on an outboard controller for the transmission and need to find a SAE bellhousing for it. The other option would be a custom adapter plate to match the Chevy bolt pattern.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The other trans option is my Fuller FSO-6406A with the 4X4 adapter I designed and fabricated. I currently have ths setup in my 2001 Dodge 3500

Fuller Trans - Copy.jpg

There's a lot of discussion about how heavy the FSO-6406 is by comparison to an NV5600 or a 5 speed OD Spicer 3053. The Fuller is only 60 lbs heavier than the NV5600 and 170 more than the Spicer. With the Fuller you get a 14" clutch ($250) and a transmission with 6 speeds and a .79 OD. Trans does not require service for 250,000 miles. Good thing is that 90% of Fuller parts are interchangeable across the FS and FSO Fuller transmission platforms.

Will decide on what trans to use this winter.

Paul

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I was surprised that the 4BT was rated 130 HP OEM.

Reviva stated that the 4BT can be rated from 45 HP to 130 and many HP ratings in between.

On the Transmission selection, the truck will be more or less a daily driver. I too like the manual.

With the adapter I designed, you can have your choice of transfer case right or left hand drop.

Paul

·
Registered
10,621 Posts
That 45 HP is probably a 4B non turbo. The stock engines usually found in road vehicles were 105 HP, 120 HP, and 130 HP. For the marine guys they were 150 HP and 250 HP.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Threetowcow,

I'll let you drive my truck so you can get the feel of a REAL transmission that won't give up on you for no reason at all.

I was grossing 38,000 with my Dodge and 40 ft goose neck from Casa Grande, AZ to Albuquerque and was passing slower vehicles. Gota love dependability.

Paul

·
Vendor
2,599 Posts
Hi Paul!

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
You thread motivated me to get the fs5306 we have now. If I can figure out what gears I need it will have od. 38,000 sounds light whats the loader weigh?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts