Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, folks, I need some help. As some of you might recall, the exhaust side flange of my turbo housing seems to be worn a bit. And the clamp I had wouldn't fit tight --- the bolt part of the clamp just tore up --- threads stripped, etc.

So, I ordered a new clamp from atpturbo.com. I got a brand new:
CLC-CLA-012 V-Band Clamp - 2.50"

And it fit decent on the bench to my turbo exhaust side, shim, and exhaust pipe. Of course, I made several adjustments along the way, so I had to undo the bolt on the clamp about 3 times. Well, the threads are toast; stripped out.

So, is this a case of cheap steel bolt or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
If its stainless it will gall, I use anti seize on the threads.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
Okay, folks, I need some help. As some of you might recall, the exhaust side flange of my turbo housing seems to be worn a bit. And the clamp I had wouldn't fit tight --- the bolt part of the clamp just tore up --- threads stripped, etc.

So, I ordered a new clamp from atpturbo.com. I got a brand new:
CLC-CLA-012 V-Band Clamp - 2.50"

And it fit decent on the bench to my turbo exhaust side, shim, and exhaust pipe. Of course, I made several adjustments along the way, so I had to undo the bolt on the clamp about 3 times. Well, the threads are toast; stripped out.

So, is this a case of cheap steel bolt or am I doing something wrong? Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Thanks.
Are you using an impact gun ?? You may want to lube the threads next time,and don't overtighten the clamp.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you using an impact gun ?? You may want to lube the threads next time,and don't overtighten the clamp.
Just a 3/8 inch hand ratchet. I really think I need a new turbo housing. The flange on the exhaust side is worn down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
one trick you can try is when you get another clamp grind the ends where they come together, then the clamp can tighten down further on your flange. usually an eighth inch on each end is enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts