Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting an E350 Van 4X4. But I would like to put a cummins 5.9 B-series mechanical in it. I am not a metal fabricator, but can weld a bit (small bit). Has anyone done this??? I do not care for the 7.3s and I have found a few scrapped E350 gutted that still have the axles, not the engine or trans.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am looking at getting an E350 Van 4X4. But I would like to put a cummins 5.9 B-series mechanical in it. I am not a metal fabricator, but can weld a bit (small bit). Has anyone done this??? I do not care for the 7.3s and I have found a few scrapped E350 gutted that still have the axles, not the engine or trans.

I have a e350 with a 7.3.

Its so tight that the van e350 is setup different that the f350 engine in a few areas. I see no way a 6b will fit. I'll sell it fairly cheap.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I need a van, just like the Cummins more than the Ford.
i like the cummins more too, it really seems to be a real truck engine and more ready to heavy duties than the ford...

·
Registered
6 Posts
The guys at "ford-cummins" have the conversion kits and know-how. I have an '86 Quigley E250 and gave them a call one time. They actually had a ford van in the shop being converted at the time I called. Friendly guys. They knew I was just shopping around and asking questions, but they had no problem just answering a few questions for me.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
The guys at "ford-cummins" have the conversion kits and know-how. I have an '86 Quigley E250 and gave them a call one time.
they have the kits for both 4bt and 6bt to mate 4wd e-series?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah, they were actually performing it on a modern 2WD with a 6bt when I gave them a call. My van has a Dana 44 front axle with coil springs and they said it would fit. I was even talking to them about converting it from a C6 to an NV4500 and they said it would work. It is tight, like the man said, but they have done it. You will have to google ford-cummins for the site. 4btswaps won't let me post links until I have a few more posts. They said they sell the hoses that will connect to the stock radiator and will tell you that you need to modify "grind" a bracket or two for clearance. They have lots of pics on the site. I think they are in Kalispell, Montana.

I'm new at this. How do I subscribe to a posting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like I said, I'm new at this. I just looked at the dates and sorry it took so long for me to write back. Without subscribing I don't know whats going on. I have to get on here and search for the key word econoline. I posted to another guys thread who is doing this in Canada. He has a van very similar to mine, but his has leaf springs. Try to find him. He has already started the work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jay_Cob I'm LHF from Canada. I might be the guy your looking for. I have a 1990 E350 4x4 that I just got my Cummins to fit !! With some triming of course. I'll post some pics later.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Here's my '81 e350 camper van with a '97 Cummins 5.9 12valve /Allison 545. I first made 4.5" body mounts, then installed f550 stock suspension. Had to drill all new holes for the leaf packs but essentially fit just fine. Lifting the body was the crucial step, the motor and transmission wouldn't have fit otherwise. Looking back, I probably should have gone a little taller, maybe 5.5"-6", but keep in mind you'll be needing 9"-10" body bolts!

As for the engine mounts I made them myself. In this case, I had an Allison 545 bolted to the ass-end, so I needed to design something that would match up to the mounting location and the chassis. As for the front, again I needed to design something that would mount up to the front "chin" bracket and the crossmember.
Eventually it all came together and turned out pretty good. I'm now working on getting some matching 4.10 axles to install and then I'll need to figure out how to mount a transfer to that Allison.
Otherwise, it's not bad! She fires right up and runs solid. The motor mounts worked out just fine.
Here's some pictures. Feel free to ask me any questions and I'm interested in any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Nice install. There are a few down sides of that project. The Allison 545 is not a great transmission for general road use. It generally came in school buses or trucks that didn't travel at interstate speeds. It does not have a lockup torque converter or an OD gear. One of the Dodge Cummins transmission may have been better suited. Would have made adapting to a 4x4 easier too. We've even seen guys put a manual transmission in the vans. One thing that always concerns me about those vans is they can be top heavy. Don't want to get into any serious off angle situations in an off road excursion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does your van have cruise control? If so, how did you make it work? I’m putting a 12 valve in an excursion and need all the info I can gather

·
Registered
5 Posts
Nice install. There are a few down sides of that project. The Allison 545 is not a great transmission for general road use. It generally came in school buses or trucks that didn't travel at interstate speeds. It does not have a lockup torque converter or an OD gear. One of the Dodge Cummins transmission may have been better suited. Would have made adapting to a 4x4 easier too. We've even seen guys put a manual transmission in the vans. One thing that always concerns me about those vans is they can be top heavy. Don't want to get into any serious off angle situations in an off road excursion.
Thanks! Yes, it did come out of a school bus. I purchased the pack from Chad McKinney on Ebay for about $4500. I am aware of the Allison Specs but it was the package that I bought and I still think it will perform nicely, even at highway speeds. I am researching creative ideas for adapting 4x4 and a parking brake configuration; I enjoy trying to figure out a complex situation and making it work. I know she will be top-heavy which is why I am mounting everything as low as possible, as well as, installing all the heavy shit under the frame and body (air tanks, water tanks, propane tanks, etc). Additionally, the only thing mounted on the roof will be solar panels because I got rid of the roof mounted AC unit and will just install a cheap-o window unit inside.
She's gonna be a beast

·
Registered
5 Posts
Does your van have cruise control? If so, how did you make it work? I’m putting a 12 valve in an excursion and need all the info I can gather
Nice man! Go 12 valves!
Yeah its got a cruise control, but it's been inop for a long time. I probably need to replace the control unit and solenoid and whatnot. But I'm not even sure if I want to use that; I was thinking it might be easier to just make it a manual throttle control with a push-pull cable or something. If I did use the original cruise cont. however, I think I could make it work; would just need to come up with some kind of configuration between the solenoid and the throttle connection. As long as it works right?!
Good luck! Let me know how it all turns out!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Did you use the cruise control from the van or from the Cummins? I know I need a pedal adapter to hook up the throttle cable to the electric pedal, but not sure about the rest of the setup.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts