Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done one? i know that they came in industrial equipment. i was thinking that this 3cyl might be handy where weight and length are an issue

·
Registered
220 Posts
I read somewhere about those, just haven't ever seen one. what did they use them in? that might be good for a small toyota 2wd truck or something.
They came in some of the case backhoes. I believe the 530 could be had with the 3 cyl B series engine.

My friend has a Case backhoe with the 3B engine, but I don't know what model Case.
Bob B.

·
Registered
854 Posts
For the size and weight per liter, I would rather run a Kubota or Isuzu 4 banger.

·
Registered
169 Posts
What would the weight difference be between them? Is it even worth it?? Not to mention the problems one would have finding a transmission to fit it. Also what is the RPM range of that engine.

Sounds like a cluster:rasta:

·
Administrator
4,171 Posts
If it is a true "B" series engine it would share all front accessories and rear drive attachments with all other "B' series engines.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Industrial diesels at surplus center

These are industrial engines, and would be impractical for use in an automotive application. So would the 3B series engine, as it never came with an automotive style governor.
Bob B.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
That is a good link. I've been looking into a small diesel engine for a generator to power an electric vehicle. Same principle as trains. For new engines, that is about par. I found a source of 4bt "crate" engines in Canada (bad part) for $7500 Canadian. What I mean by "crate" is a complete engine so all I have to do is put it in, hook the lines, and start it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
These are industrial engines, and would be impractical for use in an automotive application. ... never came with an automotive style governor.
I dunno about that - - most say: "Originally made for use in mobile equipment." To me that says they have speed governors on them, not load governors.

Dougal's Isuzu engine has a load governor - he would argue against you that it is impractical for road use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Diesel engine prices.

What do you expect to pay for a NEW diesel engine???
So if a diesel engines are only more material with the basic same technologies as gas,ie- combustion chamber, valves, cam, crank, block and head then what exactly is the justification for such a large jump in price??

·
Registered
854 Posts
what exactly is the justification for such a large jump in price??
I believe the metallurgy in diesel engines is superior to gas engines, and there are also a lot of other details (nearly all diesels have nitrided crankshafts, nearly no gas engines do) help to add up the cost.

Add another $2000 for a fuel injection pump and injectors!

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is a good link. I've been looking into a small diesel engine for a generator to power an electric vehicle. Same principle as trains. For new engines, that is about par. I found a source of 4bt "crate" engines in Canada (bad part) for $7500 Canadian. What I mean by "crate" is a complete engine so all I have to do is put it in, hook the lines, and start it.
I like that idea

·
Registered
52 Posts
Diesel engines are much mucH muCH mUCH MUCH more labor intensive to build than their gas counterparts. It reminds me of an old saying, "Big Trucks cost Big Bucks!"

1 - 17 of 17 Posts