Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I don't see the F250's front dana 44 axle being an issue with the 6bt. I couldn't count all the 70s fords that have had snowplows on them for 20 or 30 plus years without a front axle failure. I cannot recall a 70s F150 with a plow and front axle failure. I built a 78 F250 with a 6bt, sold it and it got a plow with the new owner. I haven't seen the truck but I beleive it still has the dana 44 under it.
The factory Crewcabs and snofighter's came with a 60 so Ford thought it was needed.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts
Post Ford 91 D60s(Dodges even more so) even have had their fair share of issues when they went from kingpin to balljoint and thats on a D60. I wouldnt run a D44 under a 6bt or possibly just for limp mode till a 60 was procured.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Tried to get you some pics for reference....but it was hard to get good angles :( but they might help a little

Attachments

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
a few more.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
How heavy due you tow? If it isnt a lot, might as well run a 4bt, probably save a fair bit of fab time, Steve`s build could easily show you how to do it rather easily.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Those loads will need the 6 but I doubt the rest of the Highboy will be happy doing it.
That's well beyond what they were ever designed to tow.

·
Registered
860 Posts
as far as the tunnel bellhousing interference issues--it seems pretty common for the 4x4 chevy guys to have to put a 1 inch body lift on to free up the tunnel---might not be that much of an issue...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Those loads will need the 6 but I doubt the rest of the Highboy will be happy doing it.
That's well beyond what they were ever designed to tow.
I have an "upgrade as you repair" policy when it comes to my highboy :) When my front D44 started making noises, I installed the D60.

I have a GM 14 bolt axle ready to replace the rear D60 when it starts to go.

I replaced the NP435 with the NV4500

I don't imagine the NP205 needs any upgrades :)

Also, I fully plan to upgrade all the driveline U joints to 1350 solid joints when the 14 bolt goes in.

Once all these upgrades are finished, that should be every bit as strong as the Ram 2500 or 3500 trucks that a 6bt's came in.

Right? :)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I think so mine has been undergoing the same process as yours over the years............I dont know how the Highway patrol/insurance Co.'s would feel about our "upgrades" if something ever goes wrong my VIN still says 6,800GVWR ever though it has 8,600# running gear/brakes!Getting the title changed to diesel was easy a new GVWR is not :(

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
The factory Crewcabs and snofighter's came with a 60 so Ford thought it was needed.
Dodge 1/2 tons left the factory with snow plow prep groups so dodge must have thought enough of their half ton trucks to install them on. I bet one out of four maybe five, plow trucks in snow country are on 1/2 ton trucks and have been for 30 years.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Dodge 1/2 tons left the factory with snow plow prep groups so dodge must have thought enough of their half ton trucks to install them on. I bet one out of four maybe five, plow trucks in snow country are on 1/2 ton trucks and have been for 30 years.
I've got ~30,000 miles on the D44 under the 4BT in my Crewcab that weighs 8,000# unloaded and it carries a majority of the weight on the front end so far the 44 has served me well and when and if it gives out I wont blame it.......but that being said it's a 3,500 # axle so it will not last as long as a 60 would in this application and when it's being used off the pavement is when it's most likely to fail in a catastrophic manor leaving me with a LONG walk so I'll keep shopping for a 60. And I'll keep a close eye on the 44's condition,I'd rather replace ball joints at home early than walk for miles and then shell out more for the tow home that a 60 would have cost me in the first place.On a side note I started with the M5odr2 trans which has served many here well and served me well untill I needed to move my house and shop 1,000 miles with 6,000# to 8,000# behind it did it in. Was it the transmissions fault NO I killed it by asking it to work well over it's pay grade and it did it well right up to the point that it could no longer do the job.The 44 under my front is doing the job well and is also working above it's pay grade so...........Just my two cents so take this with a grain of salt ;)

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
The 241 is wider than the 205 and in the '68 it requires notching the frame,I "think" your '77 is the same width at the T case as the '68 so I would check that before committing to the 241 or make a plan to mod drivers side frame rail.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Have you thought about a frame swap a 3/4 or 1 ton dodge donor might be the best most cost effective bet for your needs.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Your base transmission from the GM should be fine, but you will have to change the input shaft to use it with the Dodge parts. Also, have to change the bellhousing to the Dodge.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts