Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a set of marine 4bt's about 3 hours away from me for $1500 each. I have a 2000 f150 with an m5od-r2 tranny in it, so it makes a perfect swap host. I was no intending on starting the swap for a while, but I like to look for motors on craigslist. I know the ancillary components are completely different on the marine engines, but for this price couldn't I swap them out for truck parts later on? I know some sets of twin marine motors rotate in opposite directions, and they could be tuned differently. Just curious if I should even spend my time considering it. I have tried researching it, but I'm coming up empty handed. Maybe for good reason...? I haven't talked to the guy selling them yet, I want to find out more about these types of motors before I waste mine and the sellers time going to look at them. Would I be better off buying a used motor from a reputable online dealer, when I get serious about starting the swap later on? Or should I be shopping around to try and find a local used one when the opportunity arises?

·
Registered
11,506 Posts
$1500 each for those engines would likely be considered a bargain. They appear to be the VE injection pump which is likely the 150 HP model. You would likely want to do some mods to use them in a road vehicle. Everything on them is water cooled. Exhaust manifold, turbo, and intercooler. Those parts are also extremely expensive which is why you'd normally see those engines priced at several times what the guy is asking. Those engines all rotate normally so you wouldn't have that issue. Figure you'll need a Ford adapter, flywheel, stater, exhaust manifold, turbo, power steering pump, and a few misc parts. Of course you can sell the marine stuff.You'll probably spend $2000-3000 for the parts to modify them depending on how well you shop. Used Ford adapter and flywheel have gotten kind of scarce lately. New ones are still available but the price is shocking. One issue that may or may not occur on these engines is the pistons. They may be the low compression type which isn't totally bad but can make them a bit hard to start in colder weather. Would want to install an intake heater setup to help with that.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Not sure in the IP's, look more like CAV. The governors may not be to road friendly.
But agree with Char, off loading the marine parts should cover buying road parts.
As per the ad if they have been kept out of the weather, a good go through and they should be a bargain .
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$1500 each for those engines would likely be considered a bargain. They appear to be the VE injection pump which is likely the 150 HP model. You would likely want to do some mods to use them in a road vehicle. Everything on them is water cooled. Exhaust manifold, turbo, and intercooler. Those parts are also extremely expensive which is why you'd normally see those engines priced at several times what the guy is asking. Those engines all rotate normally so you wouldn't have that issue. Figure you'll need a Ford adapter, flywheel, stater, exhaust manifold, turbo, power steering pump, and a few misc parts. Of course you can sell the marine stuff.You'll probably spend $2000-3000 for the parts to modify them depending on how well you shop. Used Ford adapter and flywheel have gotten kind of scarce lately. New ones are still available but the price is shocking. One issue that may or may not occur on these engines is the pistons. They may be the low compression type which isn't totally bad but can make them a bit hard to start in colder weather. Would want to install an intake heater setup to help with that.
Cool, I live in the south so cold weather isn't as big of an issue me. My truck isn't a daily driver anymore, so I will have time to shop around for deals on parts. That's kind of why I've been poking around on Craigslist. I saw a Ford adapter locally, and the guy wants $800. The ones I've seen online are $1000...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts