1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know the Ingersoll Rand VR642 and I believe the VR1056 variable reach forklifts come the those engines. These engines come with an electronic throttle, which could be a headache trying to figure out.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
About a month ago as part of a short job I was running a new, (less than 30 hours) JLG shooting boom lift with a 4 cylinder electronic diesel, had an air to air inter-cooler too. I could not find a tag on it, must have been covered by something. My first guess was that it was a Cummins, and may have been, but I thought it had one valve cover?Any ideas on what it was?

Either way, the electronic throttle is very simple, Probably even easier than running a mechanical one. The one in the lift looked easy to mount, and very durable.

Grigg

·
Registered
168 Posts
Qsb4.5

The QSB4.5 is a stroked electronic version of the B3.9, used in the Construction/indusrtial markets, will be launched soon to the Marine market as well....Nice little compact engine, and yes it is the sister to the new 6.7..
ISB would indicate that is Automotive and QSB indicates Construction/Industrial....same goes with the big engines, can supply tech data if anyone is interested...

·
3,761 Posts
The QSB4.5 is a stroked electronic version of the B3.9, used in the Construction/indusrtial markets, will be launched soon to the Marine market as well....Nice little compact engine, and yes it is the sister to the new 6.7..
ISB would indicate that is Automotive and QSB indicates Construction/Industrial....same goes with the big engines, can supply tech data if anyone is interested...
I'm interested..

Found this site with some info
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/applications/qsb_const_performance.jsp

This site has info in more models
http://www.everytime.cummins.com/every/misc/ratings.jsp

For the QSB4.5 it shows 110hp,
and the QSB3.9 gets 130HP

for the Dodge engines, the 6.7 gets 350HP
and the 5.9 gets 325hp.

Why does the larger displacement 4 cylinder get lower HP? When the larger displacement 6 cylinder gets higher HP?

I have a spec sheet for a 2002 Freightliner MT35 chassis with an ISB3.9 rated at 145hp. Why can't I find this rating on the cummins site listed above?

What model 4 cylinder and with what options gets the most HP from the factory?

Thanks,
Grigg

·
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Qsb

Let me know what you are looking for specifically, I work for Cummins and have access to pretty much whatever you need. Steve

·
3,761 Posts
Let me know what you are looking for specifically, I work for Cummins and have access to pretty much whatever you need. Steve
Thanks Steve,
One question that I thought would be easy to find the answer to on the Cummins site, but no luck:

What model 4 cylinder (3.9 or 4.5) and with what options gets the most HP from the factory? In other words, If I were looking for the highest factory HP "4B" engine, for a swap, what is it?

Also, how does the injection system work on the QSB 4 cylinders?
I am considering adapting a common rail system to another engine, a Detroit Diesel 4-53T. Have thought about DDEC, but supposedly they are hard to tune/modify, and I think a common rail system would be an improvement on it. Also Delphi and Bosh, but don't know enough about the options yet. I would like to be able to pull something from an existing engine and not have to go straight to the injection system manufacturer for a "kit", because if they are willing to help I doubt I can afford their services, and I don't see enough demand to make it profitable.

Can the electronic Cummins fuel injection system be modified/tuned enough to have it work great on another engine?
A 4-53 Detroit is 3.5L and two cycle, so one injection per cylinder per revolution, and engine speed up to about 3,000 rpm.

Grigg

·
Registered
66 Posts
im not sure if its the highest HP rated 4BT but my dad has a 3.94BT ISB commonrail it came out of a frightliner chasis i think but the Allison 1000 trans says its a chevy workhorse? anyways the tag says 170HP and 420 TQ

·
Registered
11 Posts
im not sure if its the highest HP rated 4BT but my dad has a 3.94BT ISB commonrail it came out of a frightliner chasis i think but the Allison 1000 trans says its a chevy workhorse? anyways the tag says 170HP and 420 TQ

That's an ISBE 170. I work for a bread company, and thats what quite a few of our trucks are. They are Grumman workhorses on a chevy P-42 (?) chassis. The engine is fully electronic, 12 valve, rear gear. I can say they are QUIET, almost like a big block gasser. With the auto trans its a dog in a bread truck, but it would make a nice swap if you could sort the electronics. Gene Climer on the yahoo group has swapped/is swapping one into a 49 power wagon.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Some guys over at www.msefi.com are working on a sequential injection unit that is programmable with a laptop. The diesel question has come up a few times and they are claiming it wil lbe able to control a diesel with a few software mods. If it works then bounce .

·
Registered
66 Posts
hey detritus does that guy u say putting that isbe into his truc khave any pics? my dad is gonna put it in a 40's-50's ford truck hes got a mech. 3.9 in a 54 Ford now and he absoloutly loves it it gets 3o mpg all the time and has done a best of 37 it is a 85 HP version out of a trencher im going to put a 105HP version in my Jeep just gatherin up transmission stuff now and other lil things

·
Registered
854 Posts
JLG shooting boom lift with a 4 cylinder electronic diesel, had an air to air inter-cooler too. I could not find a tag on it, must have been covered by something. Any ideas on what it was?

They also install John Deere engines

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey detritus does that guy u say putting that isbe into his truc khave any pics? my dad is gonna put it in a 40's-50's ford truck hes got a mech. 3.9 in a 54 Ford now and he absoloutly loves it it gets 3o mpg all the time and has done a best of 37 it is a 85 HP version out of a trencher im going to put a 105HP version in my Jeep just gatherin up transmission stuff now and other lil things
There are some pics in the 'photos' section of the yahoo group. I'd just post the link, but I dont think you can see them unless you have a yahoo account. No pics of it actually in the truck, but he does have quite a few of the engine and how he adapted the NV4500 to it.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Yeah, I am and I still need help sorting out the fuel system for it! Help! Gene Climer 503-267-1648 (Cell)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just completed working on a new "QSB5" 4.5L common rail in a 100KW trailer mounted Magnum generator.
The data plate stated 145HP at 1800 RPM. (these are constant speed setups, but could easily be used for variable speed applications.) So I would assume a little more power at closer to 3000 RPM?

145HP at 1800 equates to 423lb/ft of torque! 0_o

Seems like a killer engine I wouldn't mind throwing in an early 70's Land Cruiser.....

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
The QSB's are usually lower power industrial models. The ECU could be reprogramed to make it a road version. In Europe, the ISBe4.5 is available up to 210 hp and 520 lb. ft. torque. They are used in trucks and buses. There are actually 2 different versions of the QSB 4.5. One is an 8 valve version with a VP30 electronic injection pump. The other is the 16 valve HPCR engine. Both have the same bore as the B3.9 and a longer stroke. They are not like the Dodge ISB 6.7 which has a different bore and stroke than its sister engine the B5.9.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have an 8 valve (QSB110-C, CPL 8653) 4.5 sitting in my collection.
It does not even REMOTELY resemble the common rail version of 3.9 or 4.5, nor does it resemble the 5.9 or 6.7 common rail engines.
It most resembles a 3.9 from a bread truck in the more basic valve train, gear train, timing case and block/head orientation.

It is a hybrid in the injection system, in that is utilizes a VP-30 injection pump, while maintaining, visually, the VE injectors and fuel lines.

The one that I have is set up with a flipped exhaust manifold and the turbo sits on top of it.
It utilizes an SAE 3 bell configuration, 22SI alternator and a front gear case-driven air compressor.

It also is set up for remote oil filtration.

One of these days I'll do something with it.

Mark.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts