Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ford 3/4 ton disc axles are all 69" WMS-WMS. Ford drum brake axles are 67.5" wms-wms . I don't recall there being a difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton disc axle widths.

The disc axles are wider because the open knuckles left 3/4" less room for the shock mounts on each side. The shocks wouldn't fit so Ford made the whole axle wider.

The 78-79 1/2 ton 44 front is the cheezball housing to stay away from with the integral wedges you mention. The earlier ones are all 3" 1/2" wall tubes.

The 78-79 3/4 ton HP 44 looks beefier than the previous 76-77.5 low pinion 44 front, but it's not. The tubes and housing are thinner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's awesome!!

My grandad recently died and left me an LRP converted E250 with a really tired 302. I think it's an '87.

Body's great on it, but it needs all new interior and paint, but with the price being right, I thought it'd be a really cool family hauler and karaoke business vehicle with a 4BT swap.

When you get time, could you throw together a writeup outlining as much as you can remember about what the swap entailed?

Also, let's see some outside pix of your beast!!

-Eric in Nebraska

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ford 3/4 ton disc axles are all 69" WMS-WMS. Ford drum brake axles are 67.5" wms-wms . I don't recall there being a difference between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton disc axle widths.

The disc axles are wider because the open knuckles left 3/4" less room for the shock mounts on each side. The shocks wouldn't fit so Ford made the whole axle wider.

The 78-79 1/2 ton 44 front is the cheezball housing to stay away from with the integral wedges you mention. The earlier ones are all 3" 1/2" wall tubes.

The 78-79 3/4 ton HP 44 looks beefier than the previous 76-77.5 low pinion 44 front, but it's not. The tubes and housing are thinner.
my 78-79 1/2 ton hp44 is 63.5" wide, i could take a picture of the tape measure if you want bounce

The wedges aren't all that bad if you don't mind running that style radius arm suspension, you are stuck with that style though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey nice conversion,

I am new here,and have owned a 1992 D250 with the 6BT under the hood for years,but sold it a while back due to not having the room to haul my family of 4 around when camping. I now own a 2001 Dodge Ram Wagon van 2500 8 passenger,and I have been kicking around the idea of swapping a 4BT into it,but I have never neard of it being done,and I don't have the resources,and knowledge you guys all seem to have in this forum.I can spin a wrench,but I have never welded,and know little to nothing about getting more power out of a diesel engine(my 92 dynoed 205 RWHP,but that was tuned by previous owner).Do you guys think a swap of a 4BT would work in a more modern(read tighter) Dodge van as opposed to the larger Ford in this thread? I think I would like an NV4500 in it as well,but I am not sure it would fit,and I have no idea where to mount the clutch pedal as the Dodge vans have small foot wells as it is anyway.I guess I could live with an auto if I had to.Do you think a 4BT with a little work in a van could tow my 5000lb loaded camper trailer?Any help on this,or even just a slap in the head,and laughing at me even ask such a question is appreciated,and welcome.Thanks in advance.

Chris
2001 Ram Wagon 2500 5.2 litre
1979 Mazda RX-7 GS
1974 Mazda Rotary-engine pickup(REPU)
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B hybrid travel trailer

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Hey nice conversion,

I am new here,and have owned a 1992 D250 with the 6BT under the hood for years,but sold it a while back due to not having the room to haul my family of 4 around when camping. I now own a 2001 Dodge Ram Wagon van 2500 8 passenger,and I have been kicking around the idea of swapping a 4BT into it,but I have never neard of it being done,and I don't have the resources,and knowledge you guys all seem to have in this forum.I can spin a wrench,but I have never welded,and know little to nothing about getting more power out of a diesel engine(my 92 dynoed 205 RWHP,but that was tuned by previous owner).Do you guys think a swap of a 4BT would work in a more modern(read tighter) Dodge van as opposed to the larger Ford in this thread? I think I would like an NV4500 in it as well,but I am not sure it would fit,and I have no idea where to mount the clutch pedal as the Dodge vans have small foot wells as it is anyway.I guess I could live with an auto if I had to.Do you think a 4BT with a little work in a van could tow my 5000lb loaded camper trailer?Any help on this,or even just a slap in the head,and laughing at me even ask such a question is appreciated,and welcome.Thanks in advance.

Chris
2001 Ram Wagon 2500 5.2 litre
1979 Mazda RX-7 GS
1974 Mazda Rotary-engine pickup(REPU)
2001 Jayco Kiwi 23B hybrid travel trailer
if you do go through with the van swap, i might be able to help with some of the setup. My durango is an 01 and had a 360/46re to begin with.

You might be able to get a 44re to work with the 4bt if you get a lower stall converter and can find someone to change the shift points.

I am running a 700r4 and the stock shifter works but i can't get to 1st gear, but park to 2nd work just fine.

no clue on getting the engine and a manual to fit in there, i haven't seen one up close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could I use a 700R4 transmission in my van? Would this swap be easier being a two-wheel-drive vehicle as opposed to a 4wd that the other swaps I have read about? I don't need the manual transmission,but just thought it would be cool.I know the automatic will be a lot easier,and I think my friend is using a 700R4 in his 1990 Ramcharger 2wd that he is swapping a 4BT into from a bread van. Do you guys think a 4BT will physically fit in a Dodge van? Will I have to beef up the springs? What about the unibody,will it hold up to the added torque of a diesel?I know I don't have the money,or time for this swap yet,but I am just trying to see if it is possible.Thanks for the reply.

Chris
2001 Ram Wagon vam 2500 HD 8 passenger
1979 Mazda RX-7 GS
1974 Mazda REPU

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
the 700r4 would probably work for you too, though the reliability of it in the long run so far is somewhat skeptical.

not sure on your other questions about fitment, i would guess that it would, but i really don't know.

the unibody would probably hold up, though you would want to do some extra bracing and maybe an engine cradle to help support the extra weight. Your front springs might hurt with the 4bt on them too, it is heavier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well I ended up purchasing a 85 ford E250 that already has the 6.9 in it...sofar I've had it 2 weeks..and installed part of the 3in exhaust...(getting the last bits this week)..looked at bumping the fuel..and enjoyed not watching the fuel gauge move while driving to and from work...(my 460 cc 4x4 gets 10mpg at BEST..van gets 14 per old records..gotta do my own test..)

I love it though...I do miss the looks of a truck...but the van needs the 4x4 conversion and some nice heavy duty bumpers...even have the winch for it already...bounce

but if the motor goes..its cummins time!!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.