Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Cummins R2.8 Turbo Diesel crate engine too small for a 1 ton 4x4 swap? I would like to use a manual transmission. I would like to be able to do 75 and on the highway, thinking with 3.55 gears and 21 inch or greater tires.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Most likely. What kind of loads do you wish to haul. Do you live near or in the mountains or plains? Are you skilled in automotive work and parts searching or do you have to pay? What would your typical trip look like? Manual or automatic trans? Right off, I would say for one ton, 4 wheel drive, a 6bt Cummins or equivalent would be required. Payout on a conversion frequently does not happen, unless it is just a hobby job.

Chat with some on here for similar and larger and smaller vehicles. Perhaps someone in your neighborhood has converted to diesel you could visit. Listen to to what kinds of cruise speeds, what loads they haul, what kind of fuel consumption they obtain. You might consider spending some time on here to get some good ideas what is involved in a conversion.

Ed

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No mountains or planes. This would be my first swap, typical trip would be to work and back, occasionally a car/truck show, not hauling of loads, manual transmission.

·
Super Moderator
8,680 Posts
I don't see vehicle class determining the power you need. More the total weight you are moving. Either hauling or towing.

Some people run around empty and never haul or tow anything. Others drag a trailer every week.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
What you need to study is the power output of the engine and how much this will cost. First off, the engine has 161 HP @ 3600 RPM. It's torque output is listed at 310 lb ft and covers a pretty wide band. So this engine of 2.8L has about the same power as the IHC 6.9 that came in the Ford trucks in the mid 1980's. Although it seems tiny in size comparison, it should be able to move the truck. May not be a speed demon on take off but you have to learn how to use its power. I have owned both a Ford 6.9 and 7.3 and both performed well in all types of use. Now the big factor, COST. Currently the base engine kit is around $8000. That gets you the engine and all its electronic controls. It will be up to you to come up will all the parts to marry it to your truck. #1 will be a transmission. The engine has an SAE2 adapter plate unless they've changed it. Only option would be an SAE3. There are companies now making adapters to fit manual transmissions to that bolt pattern. Need to have a few transmission options and look at adapters available. If you plan on AC you'll have to adapt that. The engine has no AC mount. You'll have to create motor mounts, install sensors for your gauges, exhaust system, air intake system, etc. These are just normal things in a swap. You might, and I emphasis might, get out for $12,000-15,000 and you doing all the work. Companies who install those engines in Jeeps charge in the $20,000+ range. Labor is expensive. Don't plan on this happening over a weekend. Might be more in the 1-2 year range. Also, check your state regulations as to repowering with a diesel. The engine is 50 state smog legal but some states have weird rules governing changing engines.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wouldn’t be hauling a trailer or any heavy payload. I don’t expect to get this done in a weekend, it would be a long term project, I’d expect it to take years (I want it done correctly). I would be putting big tires so that I can get it up to highway speeds within the RPM limits of the engine.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
The one downside in the long term project is I believe the engine comes with a 2 year warranty from Cummins. Your warranty may expire before you get done.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Personally I would buy a running low mileage 6bt truck, sell the parts you don't need. A warranty is cool but the swap time would eat up a lot of that time. I think the 2.8 is a much more street friendly motor but the 6bt would cost less and more durable in the long run.

·
Registered
327 Posts
1. Do you already have the truck you want to use? What is it?

2. There are guys who at their first swap have a ton of fab experience; they have welders, mills, lathes available. For them, a complicated first swap ends up being no big deal. An electronic motor, with limited history being swapped into a truck which is somewhat too-heavy for the motor's output...falls into the "complicated swap" category.

3. There are other guys who at their first swap need to be walked-though things as simple as gear selection. For them, it seems a the-easiest-swap-ever would be a good place to start. e.g., F350 with 5-speed and IDI getting a 6BT.

4. Of course, lots of money solves any swap challenge.

Roy

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My vision for the truck is as follows:

1. 1 Ton Chassis (preferably a dually)
2. Ford Cab
3. Vintage grill (preferably from the 30's or 40's)
4. Front fenders from the a 30's or 40's truck
5. Most likely it will have a suspension lift to fit some big tires on.

Basically a 4x4 truck rat rod I guess you could say.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I was to go the 6BT route I would probably go the route of a computer-less motor. Would I be able to bot up a NV5600 6 Speed to an engine that old?

·
Registered
327 Posts
If I was to go the 6BT route I would probably go the route of a computer-less motor. Would I be able to bot up a NV5600 6 Speed to an engine that old?
Yes. All the manuals Dodge used (Getrag, NV4500, N5600, G56) will easily bolt to any BT. You will need the correct engine-to-transmission adapter...there were at least three different ones.

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
Have to be careful on the old style trucks. A 6bt is very large. Have to consider things like radiator and intercooler. Also, those are very wide and the engine compartment on some of those old trucks is very narrow. A 6bt can be a tight fit even on some modern pickups.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Have to be careful on the old style trucks. A 6bt is very large. Have to consider things like radiator and intercooler. Also, those are very wide and the engine compartment on some of those old trucks is very narrow. A 6bt can be a tight fit even on some modern pickups.
From his description of his ideal truck...it sure seems he will be open to serious sheet-metal alteration. Based on what he wants, I would start with a F350 dually which came with a Diesel and a ZF 5- or 6-speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
12 valve isn't that big. They fit just about anywhere that was designed for a V8 or inline 6. V6 rigs like a tacoma or ranger are usually out, but pretty much anything else fits a 12V fine.

I think when Cummins eventually gives up support for the R2.8 like they've done for all the other little diesels they used to support and the last 2.8 dies from some plastic part breakage or electronics degradation the vast majority of all the 12 valves ever built will probably still be on the road.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Not necessarily. The Jeep YJs and TJs had AMC straight 6 gas engines in them (4.2L and 4.0L respectively), but you can't fit a 5.9 or 6.7 Cummins unless you are willing to stretch the engine bay at least 8" or so.

To the OP: before you decide on the R2.8, be advised that the engine is 100% manufactured in China and doesn't have a good record for longevity or durability. I'd suggest you do some deep research on this before committing to this engine. I will refrain (for now) from ranting about how disgusted I am with Cummins for moving so much parts production to China. :mad:

·
Registered
10,776 Posts
12 valve isn't that big.

Yes, it is that big. It's a tight fit in some modern full size pickups. This guy is talking about a vehicle from the 1930s or 1940's. Those engine compartments were very narrow. One of our members put a 4bt into a '32 Chevy and couldn't use the hood side panels.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts