Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
There are several companies out there installing these in Jeeps or other lighter weight vehicles. Makes a very good combination but is ain't cheap. Seems I saw one company charging in the $20-25K range for the swap including the engine. OUCH! Not sure of the kit price from Cummins right now but the last I saw was $7,699. One drawback is those engines come with an SAE2 transmission adapter. There is possibly an SAE3 unit that would fit it but no others. Requires a custom adapter to mate normal automotive type transmissions. Another is this thing it is 100% computer controlled. One positive aspect is the engine is very light compared to a 4bt so suspension and frame mods for the weight wouldn't be needed. Only weighs 503 lbs. The kit is very complete as far as engine and controls. You'd have to make adapters for things like AC. The engine is also all 50 states smog legal.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
To me this seems like a logical and cost effective option for a modern mid weight vehicle IF you plan to do the swap yourself, I'd expect trans adapters to be forthcoming as nature abhors a vacuum... With CAD and CNC milling it's not a difficult job to do...............$.02

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
Steve, we've already seen companies making SAE adapters for the NV4500, NV5600, and G56 and you're right there will probably be more in the making. Worst ones will probably be the automatics since they don't have replaceable front housings. Same goes for the ZF manuals.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If I could get my hands on one of these motors I would have a new line of adapters right next to my Kubota line.

I don’t have the extra funds to lay down the cash currently. Haven’t had a customer ask about it either. You can swap a V2203 into an xj with a complete bolt in setup including a/c PS and alt for less then the 2.8l cummins

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
You probably wouldn't need to have an engine. The block adapter is an SAE2. Phoenix Casting and Machining has some models already. What flywheel the engine comes with might be an issue though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Char, I would hope to make it like my kubota adapters. My adapter bolts to the block and eliminates the stock bellhousing, a crankshaft adapter is used for whatever flywheel. This generally saves a couple inches in length also. makes the back of the Kubota identical to what you are transplanting.
Sbc, sbf,jeep4.0l,Toyota 22r etc

For an example my Jeep 4.0l adapters use a stock Jeep flywheel and starter. For the Kubota this is fine, probably want more weight on the R2.8l flywheel.

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
You won't do that with the R2.8. They have rear gear train and the transmission adapter is also the gear housing. Here's a photo that shows the rear area of the engine. Whatever you make has to work around the factory adapter plate. There are already manual transmission adapters for a good many units. Even advance adapters has gotten into the game.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,579 Posts
That style housing is used on all the ISBe engines and the newer style like the R2.8. The exception to the rule is the Dodge engines. They still have the regular bolt on transmission adapter. I guess Cummins will build whatever you want so long as you're buying tons of them.

·
Premium Member
2,562 Posts
I am thinking about a f150 build
I think you ought to do it. The R2.8 has the power curve set up like a gas motor. No need to fear about breaking the drive train with too much low end torque. Which means you just need to find a way to hook it up to your existing drive train.

·
Super Moderator
8,667 Posts
The Cummins 2.8 has had a terrible run in the Foton pickups. I hope Cummins have those issues sorted. Many have had engine replacement around the 50,000km mark. Cylinder bore issues I think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
A Jeep TJ(I think) just popped up for sale out in Reno NV area with a r2.8 with less then 50hrs run time for $19k

I was thinking about contacting him and asking about it and why he is trying to sell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was involved in a jeep conversion with one of the first r2.8's.

We built an adapter that replaced the timing housing to run a dodge nv4500 and flywheel. So I got to take the engine apart some.

It's not very impressive inside. Plenty of plastic including the entire oil pan. There is a small chain that runs the cam. Most parts had formed reusable style silicone gaskets, but then also had RTV gobbed on in addition. The engine I opened up had some holes not deburred and loose metal chips inside.

The power is decent. It's a small engine that relies on a lot of boost. I don't think that it will hold up very long doing any kind of work though.

I applaud Cummins for making it available, but I won't be buying another one.

I don't see many out there either. I'd like to know how many Cummins has sold. I'd bet it's not that many.

If I do another jeep I'd like to try the Mahindra Roxor 2.5 engine and transmission. The mahindra engine has a good reputation in ag and a long track record. I have driven them and I like them and I think one could buy the entire mahindra drivetrain for a fraction of an R2.8.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The engine components all say made in China on them. Supposedly the r2.8s are assembled in usa, but I don't know how that would help. The 2.8 has a very cheap China feel to it. Not like the b series at all.

I wish they kept the komatsu 3.3 around. That was a fantastic little engine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts