Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It's already been mentioned, but worth repeating: The R2.8 is entirely made in China, and has a very poor reputation for longevity. So, if you buy one you are putting money into a regime which literally puts people in concentration camps, and you are getting an engine that will have excessive blowby before a B series engine is even broken in. Thems the breaks.

There are other, better, non-Chinese light diesels out there. Personally, I would look into an ISB4.5. Yeah, I know, weight, blah blah. Everyone said the same thing when I replaced the 6.2 in my K5 (which itself had replaced a TBI 350) with a P-pumped 12V. Turns out they were only partially correct; the weight didn't negatively affect handling, but it was hard on 10b/D44 ball joints when combined with 37" tires. The stock frame also probably wouldn't have held up. However, that is a 6. If I had used a 4BT or ISB3.9 or 4.5, all of which weigh the same as the 6.2, I could have kept the stock axle and frame (had the frame not already been excessively cracked around the steering box area).

I know lots of guys are afraid of electronically injected engines, but the electronics are all pretty much self-contained to the engine, with the exception of the throttle pedal, so they are really an easy swap. Scariest thing is when the time comes to replace injectors, but it's the cost that scares you :) Fortunately, they last a long time, and if you have a pump/injector shop just replace the nozzle components (or by remans) the price isn't too horrible. Other than that, they run nice, make decent power, and can make even more power if so desired. They are certainly quieter and shake less than a mechanically injected B series. Here's a 170HP ISB3.9 running:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have used the commonrail 3.9 and 4.5's in swaps. They are a little bit quieter, but they dont shake less than a mechanical 4bt in good shape. I did not like the power at all they are nowhere near as powerful or fun to drive as a VE 3.9 4BT. I could not find anyone to modify the ECM besides factory tunes and I didn't think any of those were decent.

I think you made the right choice with a 12 valve. 4bt doesn't weigh much less.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
Member Steed has worked on one of those. Those ISBe engines were used in Ford pickups in South America. Not sure how far the power can be pushed on those. The factory ISBe 4.5 comes in power up to 210 HP but isn't available in the US. Only the QSB4.5 is available here and no where near the same power as the ISEe4.5.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have used the commonrail 3.9 and 4.5's in swaps. They are a little bit quieter, but they dont shake less than a mechanical 4bt in good shape. I did not like the power at all they are nowhere near as powerful or fun to drive as a VE 3.9 4BT. I could not find anyone to modify the ECM besides factory tunes and I didn't think any of those were decent.

I think you made the right choice with a 12 valve. 4bt doesn't weigh much less.
I chose the 6BT due to cost and power. No matter how much power you get out of a 4BT, a 6BT can do 50% better. Naturally it will also use more fuel, but the improvement over a gas engine is so large that you certainly won't feel cheated out of the extra MPG or three. In theory the 6BT should have done better on fuel vs the 6.5 (less displacement and DI vs IDI), but in reality it's pretty much the same. A VE pump 12V would likely do a bit better. Price-wise, everyone wanted a LOT of coin for a good running 4BT, whereas I picked up a good running 6BT for a grand. The prime application of a 4BT or similar size 4-cylinder is a vehicle that cannot physically fit the 6, such as a Jeep. I can tell you from experience that a Jeep with 3/4 or 1-ton axles, big tires, and set up for decent to serious off-road use ain't light by any stretch, and I would never want a 2.8L engine in it even if it wasn't Chinese crap.

Member Steed has worked on one of those. Those ISBe engines were used in Ford pickups in South America. Not sure how far the power can be pushed on those. The factory ISBe 4.5 comes in power up to 210 HP but isn't available in the US. Only the QSB4.5 is available here and no where near the same power as the ISEe4.5.
I wonder if the 210HP tune would work in the ECM used on North American ISB/QSB4.5's? Or, get the whole ECM off the ISBe4.5 and put it on a North American engine?

I've fixed the thread title. It was hurting my brain.
Mine too. Especially the "Cumming" part. There ain't no "g" in Cummins!

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
I'd doubt you could get your hands on the tune from the 210 HP ISBe 4.5. Probably need to have a friend in Cummins to get it. Not really sure why Cummins didn't use that one is the US. We only got the ISBe 3.9 which was usually 170 HP. I believe Steed may have cracked the code and is getting his into the 200 HP area. Haven't heard much from him lately. He in the US Army and that probably takes precedent over fun toys.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I was thinking of getting the entire ECM from a 4.5 with the tune already on it. I'm sure one could locate one in South America somewhere if they had the need/want. That assumes they are the same or similar enough that they use the same connectors as our QSB versions.

I just checked over on EFILive, and it appears they have some support for HD Cummins ECM's, i.e. those used on ISB and QSB engines. Does anyone know what the CM number is on the ECM used on North American ISB/QSB 3.9/4.5's? They have numerous ones listed that they support, and from what I was reading it seem that if you have one of those ECMs but the cal isn't currently supported by EFILive, all they need is the downloaded cal from your ECM emailed to them and they can easily add it to the supported cal list. All this assumes that the ECM itself is supported, which it should be. Being able to actually tune the ECM on an ISB or QSB would be great. No more limitations of the stock tunes, and the ability to crank the power up to the limits of airflow/fuel capacity/EGT's.

·
Registered
10,661 Posts
You might want to try contacting member Steed. He is well versed on the computer parts of those engines. He himself is a computer expert for the US Army. If it can be done he'd probably know about it.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts