Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get a rough labor guesstimate to replace an existing 4bt with a new crate or remanufactured engine. Labor only, I would supply engine, turbo, pump...Just thinking ahead for worst case scenario.
Thanks

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
That would seem almost impossible to estimate. What type of vehicle or machine is the change out going in. Is the replacement engine complete or will parts need to be swapped from the original engine. If it's a crate engine there would be no turbo or pump swap unless this is just a long block. Then there would be a good many parts to move. The shop doing the actual swap can have a big variable in cost. Seem like most major garages in my area charge around $100 per hour. Small, privately owned shops can be a good bit less. Maybe $50-75 per hour. Too many variables in the puzzle to guess at a labor cost.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
There is also the parts chasing cost, rare to be lucky enough to have everything gathered up that fits beforehand. One small change can develop into more different parts chasing.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Estimate around $15k for a shop to purchase the parts and swap. $3-7k in labor depending on the scope of the project and custom work requested.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Johnny, that would seem a bit steep on this project. There is already a 4bt in place. This is just exchanging engines, one 4bt for the other. Wouldn't expect it to take 3.75 days which is what $3000 labor amounts to at $100/hr.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I wonder if you should be calling truck/equipment shops instead of auto shops.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Want to get a rough labor guesstimate to replace an existing 4bt with a new crate or remanufactured engine. Labor only, I would supply engine, turbo, pump...Just thinking ahead for worst case scenario.
Thanks
04 Land Rover Discovery II, 4bt, NV4500, NP203/205
I've done all the parts sourcing on my own, and will be helping the mech with the build.
Rebuilt engine, trans, t-case.
All the parts so far... to date, about $27k

·
Registered
4 Posts
04 Land Rover Discovery II, 4bt, NV4500, NP203/205
I've done all the parts sourcing on my own, and will be helping the mech with the build.
Rebuilt engine, trans, t-case.
All the parts so far... to date, about $27k
I own a shop in the SF Bay Area, shop rates are $160 - 220 hour.
A truck or light diesel shop would be best. My guess would be at least 10k, if nothing else is needed.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
For some reason these numbers seem to be coming from never never land. Josiah, you're quoting $27,000. Nettdog, you're saying at least $10,000. Do you guys understand this is not building a vehicle from scratch or adapting a Cummins engine to some existing vehicle. This is only swapping a replacement engine of the same type for an existing engine. That $10,000 would be over 50 hours labor. That's over a week to just replace an engine. Must be a lot of long coffee breaks in there.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
I read the title. Didn't read the first post carefully enough. The numbers in my post above are accurate for a 4BT SWAP cost.

Taking out an engine and replacing it with the same engine is maybe 2k tops, assuming it's entirely plug and play.

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
Johnny, that sounds about right depending on where you live. A lot can depend on how many parts need to be swapped from the old engine to the new one. And as we've seen the labor rates can vary wildly depending on location. Don't think I could afford to live in California. Bad enough in NC.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe 10k would get a swap done if I shop carefully(engine and mechanic). I may only need a “reseal”?

On another note, is this my CPL # 3916164 with engine date 10/12/89
I don’t have the truck with me, it’s getting some paint and body work in Flagstaff and I’m in Texas.
36E4C07D-5E07-44CF-96CD-8CDF2C2D7B2D.jpeg

·
Registered
11,050 Posts
The number 3916164 is just the part number for an ID plate. If you look over to the right side in the top row you should see a block labeled CPL. To the far right you should find the engine serial number. Both those numbers can be very helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts