Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
how do you bid on them. Are they worth it?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
You have to first register to get a DoveBid Account:

https://www.dovebid.com/accounts/register.asp?targetURL=/mydovebid.asp

Once you have that set up, log in and find the auction you want to bid in. Hit that link, and there will be a link to register to bid in that auction. For the current transportation auction, that would be:

http://www.dovebid.com/Auctions/Auc...on=registerforevent&formhasbeensubmitted=true

Then, when the auction is running, there is a box at the bottom and top of the listing for bidding. If you put in the absolute max you want to pay, it will automatically keep upping your bid by the minimum amount until you're either on top or hit your limit.

DO NOT FORGET THAT THEY ADD 16% FOR BUYER'S PREMIUM THAT IS NOT INCLUDED IN THAT AMOUNT YOU'RE BIDDING!!!

Oh, and sales tax on top of that!!!

And.. Sniping on DoveBid is a bit pointless. If a bid is received in the last 5 minutes of an auction, the auction end time is automatically extended by another 5 minutes. And if it happens again, it extends again.. Which is how I got mine, because I saw what was happening (someone trying to snipe) and went ahead and pushed my max up a bit. Didn't want to loose over a piddly $100..

Are they worth it?? Well, I've seen good 4BT engine / tranny combos torn out of the bread trucks get about $2K or more on flEaBay. And, you've got about $1200 or more in remaining scrap value of the metal of the truck. OR.. You could take what you want, repower the P-30 with something else, re-sell the truck as a runner. That's probably good for $3K or so by itself, and leaves you with a 4BT, probably with $0 net.

·
Registered
267 Posts
thanks and that sort of sucks about that sniping thing plus the 16 % and sales tax

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And always pay using a major credit card like Mastercard. That way if something isn't as advertised the credit card company will pursue it for you after DoveBid fails to cooperate. And most important - verify what you are bidding on BEFORE you bid. :idea:

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
thanks and that sort of sucks about that sniping thing plus the 16 % and sales tax
Yeah.. And they put tax on the 16% Buyer's Premium, when that part should have been tax-free according to my local county clerk's office folks (since that was technically a service rendered by an out-of-state company, not Frito-Lay, not the price of the truck, etc.)..

And always pay using a major credit card like Mastercard. That way if something isn't as advertised the credit card company will pursue it for you after DoveBid fails to cooperate. And most important - verify what you are bidding on BEFORE you bid. :idea:
YES YES YES!!! Even though they give a wee bit of a discount on the buyer's premium for EFT.. DO NOT DO IT. And this goes for ANY online transaction of this nature. Never NEVER do a direct shot out of a bank account, even if you go through ScamPal or another intermediary. I'd much rather pay slightly more and let the CC company get a % (then I pay off the balance before it accrues any interest) than to wind up holding the bag on something that is grossly mis-represented. Not sayin' it will happen, but..

·
Registered
23 Posts
HEY! There's actually some of these things near me this time! $400 for a 15-footer with a leaking injector pump and a leaking TH400. Too bad I don't get paid 'til NEXT Thursday. Suckage...well maybe this grandma type person will come through in the next...2 hours...and buy my Intrepid.

I'm signed up for the 9/19 sale (#25). Hope there's something near me when it starts. If not, there's always the next month. I finally get an 8-acre farm and now I can fill it up with bread vans, scrap aluminum, 4BT engines, various transmissions, and pickup trucks to be repowered. Might be able to make some pretty good money considering the bid levels with only a couple hours left that I'm seeing. $400 here, $600 there, needing work but who cares?!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I bought one in Ga. last year for $950.00 and had a good experience with the auction folks. Sold it on ebay for $2550.00. However the word must be out because the vans in Chattanooga and Knoxville sold for over $1700. Still a pretty good deal though. There were a few with a 6.5 and an Allison trans. What model Allison would that be?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
I bought one in Ga. last year for $950.00 and had a good experience with the auction folks. Sold it on ebay for $2550.00. However the word must be out because the vans in Chattanooga and Knoxville sold for over $1700. Still a pretty good deal though. There were a few with a 6.5 and an Allison trans. What model Allison would that be?
AT545 if it's an automatic Allison, if memory serves.

Yeah, they're going for a premium here. I paid more than I hoped to for mine. (But I'm quite happy with the price I paid, considering that the engine was rebuilt approximately 10K ago and didn't see "route work" after that..) And I noticed that a NON-RUNNER in Lexington went for $1400+ this round. Worth keeping in mind is that before DoveBid was in the mix, here in Knoxville a runner went for $2500. Minimum. And they didn't stay on the yard for long at that price.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Vancouver Wash van ?

What did it go for ?

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The easiest way to keep track of what one sells for is to simply "bookmark" that particular auction. :idea:

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Or..

You have an option to add it to your "watch list" inside DoveBid. Then you'll see all of the ones that you want to track in one list when you go to the My Account section, even after the auction has closed.

I like that way better because it makes it easier for me to compare current auction prices to those in the past, I don't clutter up my browser's bookmarks, and that list is not computer-specific. :hillbilly:

·
Registered
179 Posts
thanks guys

now if i was not getting spanked by the stock market foofoo , I might be able to apply your wisdom at the next auction.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts