Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are having a discussion on another forum on cutting tube miters ( Birds Mouth) for joining/welding tube. I wanted to post this info here as it really works great.

There is a program called Tubemiter.exe that when you input your tube size, it will print out a template. You tape the template around the pipe and then cut the pipe to the template. Perfect fit, ready to weld.

Go to the following link and near the bottom is a program description with page print outs so you can see what its doing. You can also down load the program there. The program is FREE and will fit on a floppy so a old laptop in the shop or road would work well to have this with you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/framebuild.htm

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks very much, Paul and Bob! If there's one thing I love it's fabricating steel, but there's sure nothing wrong with making it easier!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks for posting this Paul. I just used the program over the weekend to help in making a new exhaust system. I went from a too loud, out-the-back dual setup to a single 3" out behind the rear passenger wheel with a new muffler that's thankfully much quieter. Tubemiter was used to lay out the miter in the primary tubing into the three inch 'collector' at a 45 deg angle just fore of the muffler.

Thanks again,

Ken

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for posting this Paul. I just used the program over the weekend to help in making a new exhaust system. I went from a too loud, out-the-back dual setup to a single 3" out behind the rear passenger wheel with a new muffler that's thankfully much quieter. Tubemiter was used to lay out the miter in the primary tubing into the three inch 'collector' at a 45 deg angle just fore of the muffler.

Thanks again,

Ken
Ken, your welcome. I am happy it worked so well for you. I use it a lot. In fact when I get time, I am going to make a bunch of different patterns out of FRG Glass board so they are handy. I use FRG Glass board for many templates that I cut with plasma. Works great. Now, my problem is getting the time ha ha

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are having a discussion on another forum on cutting tube miters ( Birds Mouth) for joining/welding tube. I wanted to post this info here as it really works great.

There is a program called Tubemiter.exe that when you input your tube size, it will print out a template. You tape the template around the pipe and then cut the pipe to the template. Perfect fit, ready to weld.

Go to the following link and near the bottom is a program description with page print outs so you can see what its doing. You can also down load the program there. The program is FREE and will fit on a floppy so a old laptop in the shop or road would work well to have this with you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/framebuild.htm

Paul
thanks for posting that, it will come in handy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What is FRG glass board?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is FRG glass board?
FRG Board is a fiber glass board 1/16" thick. Pebble finish on one side, mat finish on the reverse. Comes in 4x8 sheets for about $16 last time I bought it. Very good for templates you want to keep. Plasma Torch will not mess up the template edge.............if you use the Plasma right ha ha

Paul

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks paul.... I have a few router projects coming up, and was wondering if it might be something to check on....Ill google it, and see who makes it. Later Paul

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks paul.... I have a few router projects coming up, and was wondering if it might be something to check on....Ill google it, and see who makes it. Later Paul
The FRG main purpose is wall covering in Kitchens/Baths. Most lumber yards will have it, though it may be under a different name where your live.

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts