Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a discussion on another forum on cutting tube miters ( Birds Mouth) for joining/welding tube. I wanted to post this info here as it really works great.

There is a program called Tubemiter.exe that when you input your tube size, it will print out a template. You tape the template around the pipe and then cut the pipe to the template. Perfect fit, ready to weld.

Go to the following link and near the bottom is a program description with page print outs so you can see what its doing. You can also down load the program there. The program is FREE and will fit on a floppy so a old laptop in the shop or road would work well to have this with you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/framebuild.htm

Paul

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Thanks very much, Paul and Bob! If there's one thing I love it's fabricating steel, but there's sure nothing wrong with making it easier!!!

·
Registered
397 Posts
Thanks for posting this Paul. I just used the program over the weekend to help in making a new exhaust system. I went from a too loud, out-the-back dual setup to a single 3" out behind the rear passenger wheel with a new muffler that's thankfully much quieter. Tubemiter was used to lay out the miter in the primary tubing into the three inch 'collector' at a 45 deg angle just fore of the muffler.

Thanks again,

Ken

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting this Paul. I just used the program over the weekend to help in making a new exhaust system. I went from a too loud, out-the-back dual setup to a single 3" out behind the rear passenger wheel with a new muffler that's thankfully much quieter. Tubemiter was used to lay out the miter in the primary tubing into the three inch 'collector' at a 45 deg angle just fore of the muffler.

Thanks again,

Ken
Ken, your welcome. I am happy it worked so well for you. I use it a lot. In fact when I get time, I am going to make a bunch of different patterns out of FRG Glass board so they are handy. I use FRG Glass board for many templates that I cut with plasma. Works great. Now, my problem is getting the time ha ha

Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are having a discussion on another forum on cutting tube miters ( Birds Mouth) for joining/welding tube. I wanted to post this info here as it really works great.

There is a program called Tubemiter.exe that when you input your tube size, it will print out a template. You tape the template around the pipe and then cut the pipe to the template. Perfect fit, ready to weld.

Go to the following link and near the bottom is a program description with page print outs so you can see what its doing. You can also down load the program there. The program is FREE and will fit on a floppy so a old laptop in the shop or road would work well to have this with you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/framebuild.htm

Paul
thanks for posting that, it will come in handy.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What is FRG glass board?

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is FRG glass board?
FRG Board is a fiber glass board 1/16" thick. Pebble finish on one side, mat finish on the reverse. Comes in 4x8 sheets for about $16 last time I bought it. Very good for templates you want to keep. Plasma Torch will not mess up the template edge.............if you use the Plasma right ha ha

Paul

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks paul.... I have a few router projects coming up, and was wondering if it might be something to check on....Ill google it, and see who makes it. Later Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.