Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to buy a cylinder liner removal tool, I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better -cheaper way?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
There are several liner removal tools. Kent Moore has had several different liner pullers over the years, they are extremely expensive, but work wonderfully. There are spring loaded liner pullers, which basically fit into two horizontally opposed ports in the cylinder liner. Once snapped into place, you rotate the crankshaft until the piston hits the expanding pin, and with a breaker bar, you can rotate the crankshaft pushing the liner out with the piston. If you remove the liners this way, be sure to replace the liners. This method will mushroom the top of the port, causing clearance issues if you try re-installing the piston. I did not have any liner pullers when I rebuilt my 6V53T. I used a 4x4 block of wood and a sledgehammer to push the liners out from below, it was a royal pain. I would never push a liner out like that again. When I rebuilt my 4-53T I borrowed a Kent Moore Liner puller, and in 10 minutes I had all four liners out without any bloody knuckles! I'd suggest taking a day off from work to take a drive over to Leid Diesel in Newville, PA. They are a wonderful group of folks who are dedicated to rebuilding two cycle diesel engines. They will have all of the parts you need to rebuild your engine, and loads of wisdom to pass along for your engine rebuild.

Chris

·
Registered
288 Posts
Pull the pistons out form the bottom and use a simple puller if you're struggling with anything else. Recently knocked this up in under an hour for $0 to pull liners form one of my donor blocks. Worked really well once I replaced the LT M12 rod with HT 1/2"UNF

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I want build my own 4bt liner puller, what is the length of treaded rod
You might want to research that - I am not aware that the 4bt and 6bt engine blocks had liners - stay tuned for input from someone who knows more about rebuilding 4bt's.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Small Cummins engines do not have liners. Detroits do have liners. It is always helpful if one states what equipment they are working with up front, saves a lot of guesswork.

Ed in CO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts