Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im just curious:

How many people in here (besides myself) have attempted to or have done a Cummins 4BT or 6BT swap in a Dodge Dakota.

Post links, and if it is yours say "I HAVE" and post a link.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya, TDR is mostly where I hang out.

If your not doing anything this Sunday we are having a Meet n' Greet at a local truck stop up here and im sure a lot of people would love to see your Durango.

Here is the post:

3rd Annual Petro's Meet -n- Greet Dec.2nd

For anyone that hasn't already heard:

It's almost time for the 3rd annual Petro's Meet -n- Greet.

Where: Petro's in DuPont (between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton)

When: December 2nd, 2007 at high noon.

Here's a link to the location: http://www.petrotruckstops.com/location_detail.sstg?id=57

Tell all of your Diesel friends it has been a really good time the past 2 yrs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does it count that I'm in the process of gathering parts? Got the engine, adapter plate, bellhousing (No NV4500 as of yet, how hard is it to convert 2wd to 4wd?), flywheel, and some motor mounts off a 6bt.

Wish I was a little farther along but I'm in no huge rush. When I get all my parts then I will be looking to stuff the ol 4bt into the engine bay.

2001 Dakota Extended cab 4x4 SLT on 33" MTZs.

Scranton is pretty close to me... Im about 10min away from Grove City, PA.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I am in the process (90% done) of putting a 4BT in my Durango (same mechanicals and engine bay as a Dakota). A 4bt is a lot of work, but is quite possible in a Dakota/Durango. I would NEVER attempt a 6b without starting from the ground up. Even the Sidewinder project had to eliminate the stock heater assembly because the engine pushed the firewall back into the dash. The 3 big issues I see with the 6b is the stock front suspension (ball joints and steering parts don't last long with the stock engine); the length of the motor requiring the firewall to be pushed back 12"+; and the strength of the stock frame.

The 4bt is a very tight fit in the stock engine bay, but would be a good match to the Dakota/Durango's size and weight.

On another note, I really don't see the point of putting a 6b in a Dakota, other than bragging rights that you managed to do it (which is always fun!). A Dakota can't safely tow enough to require that much torque, and the frame can't handle harnessing that much torque even during quarter mile runs. On the other hand, a 4bt would be great for towing a 5000-7000 lb. trailer behind a Dakota or Durango, should get high 20's or into the 30mpg range with the properly matched drivetrain, and will move a Dakota along with a good bit of spirit.

But it would be fun to see a 6b powered Dakota for the street (besides the tube-frame, race car close Sidewinder).

Jim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is a 6BT

I am in the process (90% done) of putting a 4BT in my Durango (same mechanicals and engine bay as a Dakota). A 4bt is a lot of work, but is quite possible in a Dakota/Durango. I would NEVER attempt a 6b without starting from the ground up. Even the Sidewinder project had to eliminate the stock heater assembly because the engine pushed the firewall back into the dash. The 3 big issues I see with the 6b is the stock front suspension (ball joints and steering parts don't last long with the stock engine); the length of the motor requiring the firewall to be pushed back 12"+; and the strength of the stock frame.

The 4bt is a very tight fit in the stock engine bay, but would be a good match to the Dakota/Durango's size and weight.

On another note, I really don't see the point of putting a 6b in a Dakota, other than bragging rights that you managed to do it (which is always fun!). A Dakota can't safely tow enough to require that much torque, and the frame can't handle harnessing that much torque even during quarter mile runs. On the other hand, a 4bt would be great for towing a 5000-7000 lb. trailer behind a Dakota or Durango, should get high 20's or into the 30mpg range with the properly matched drivetrain, and will move a Dakota along with a good bit of spirit.

But it would be fun to see a 6b powered Dakota for the street (besides the tube-frame, race car close Sidewinder).

Jim
I dont know if you read my begining thread or not but I (we) did put a 6BT Cummins into a Dakota.

Let me just say a few things about your post.

I didn't move the heater assembly, and I didnt move or modify the firewall. I did however modify the stock suspension actually we cut it ut and installed a solid axle suspension with 8 lug axles.

My truck is rated at aprox. 350-400 hp and 800-900 ft lbs of tq, and im pushing 45 lbs of boost. I am running a 38" tire and drive the truck hard enough to break my transmission and i have been doung this for 3 yrs now. I have never had a issue with the frame not being strong enough and i inspect it regularly.

Im sorry if I come off like a smarta$$ I did not mean to sound that way. I just really bothers me when people say things CANT be done.

BTW here is my myspace with all of the pictures:

http://www.myspace.com/6btdakota

Rob

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Ya, TDR is mostly where I hang out.

If your not doing anything this Sunday we are having a Meet n' Greet at a local truck stop up here and im sure a lot of people would love to see your Durango.

Here is the post:

3rd Annual Petro's Meet -n- Greet Dec.2nd

For anyone that hasn't already heard:

It's almost time for the 3rd annual Petro's Meet -n- Greet.

Where: Petro's in DuPont (between Wilkes-Barre and Scranton)

When: December 2nd, 2007 at high noon.

Here's a link to the location: http://www.petrotruckstops.com/location_detail.sstg?id=57

Tell all of your Diesel friends it has been a really good time the past 2 yrs
if i can get my nv4500 in and running, you seriously might see me on sunday, what a way to debug a drivetrain, drive a few hundred miles :D I'll talk to my buddy who just did an nv4500 swap in his 24V and finished yesterday...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It would be great to see you up there. Someone with a swap

My first voyage other than around town was from Scranton to Reedsville WV for a DHRA truck pull (which I didnt pull in) and than back to Carlisle for the all truck nationals.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
mine's far from finished, and it's certainly not pretty, but if it works, I should be there.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone I have an update:

I just spoke to Peter at the Petro and we have the back room reserved for ourselves for 35-40 people and anytime after 12:30. You can either order off the menu or get the buffet. Peter also told me they will put the TV's on for any of us that want to watch the games

·
Registered
137 Posts
I would show up but I think you might insult my STOCK 12v. Also if I did want to make it I don't think my truck would get me over the steep 81 hills:(

·
Registered
915 Posts
I come from a hotrodding background, and I think your truck is just sweet!! Overpower to the point of rediculous is my favorite hobby; I have an S-10 with a 700HP turbocharged/injected smallblock and a 1949M Farmall puller that is turbocharged and pushing 500HP in the factory block.....factory rating was 43HP:D:boom:. The 6BT chevy isthe toy hauler.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Very nice!! Not a whole lot of room left over, tho;) Great job! I would give you an "A+":beer:

·
Registered
137 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very nice!! Not a whole lot of room left over, tho;) Great job! I would give you an "A+":beer:
Thanks for the compliment I really do appriciate it.

Their isnt a whole lot of room left over at all in fact their was no room for the battery under the hood so we had to mount it under the rear of the truck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts