Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my D60 apart last fall. Took plenty of notes and pics...but, here I am.

On the passenger side only, I have an "extra" seal. It seems it wants to go
Unknown seal.jpg
Unknown seal pic 2.jpg
in the inboard side of the spindle. I stored it along with the seals and brass spacer associated with the axle.

But, (1) it is not shown in either the Ford FSM or the Dana IPL, (2) I don't also have one on the driver's side, (3) it does not show up in any of my notes or pics.

I have no history with this truck.

Thoughts? Thanks,

Roy

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Sometimes if there are two optional parts, both are included rather this need have two kits.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The unknown seal didn't come with a kit...it came out of my axle assembly!

So, I had never taken one of these apart. I started with the passenger side...I ended up removing both the seals in the pic. I stored them together...meaning, they came from the same general area of the axle. But, I didn't happen to snap a pic then.

Then, I took the driver's side apart...and, did not notice the unknown seal was not on that side.

That was all last fall.

The Unknown Seal fits nicely right on top of the spindle needle bearing. But, I still have my original questions/concerns.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The unknown seal didn't come with a kit...it came out of my axle assembly!

So, I had never taken one of these apart. I started with the passenger side...I ended up removing both the seals in the pic. I stored them together...meaning, they came from the same general area of the axle. But, I didn't happen to snap a pic then.

Then, I took the driver's side apart...and, did not notice the unknown seal was not on that side.

That was all last fall.

The Unknown Seal fits nicely right on top of the spindle needle bearing. But, I still have my original questions/concerns.
One an axle seal one from the tube.. a grease seal from the hub????

·
Registered
54 Posts
My old Chilton manual for ford 60.
Between axle and needle bearing starting at needle, bearing seal, bronze washer, v seal, stone shield then axle. According to the book install bearing seal with lip away from bearing(pack bearing and seal face with waterproof grease as well as the v-seal on axle. The bronze washer goes on axle chamferred side inboard

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One an axle seal one from the tube.. a grease seal from the hub????
The hub seal is much larger and has a steel ring. I now think it was an old-version spindle seal which was left in there when the new one was added. But, I will probably never know for sure. I just reassembled that side yesterday...with the one new spindle seal.

My old Chilton manual for ford 60.
Between axle and needle bearing starting at needle, bearing seal, bronze washer, v seal, stone shield then axle. According to the book install bearing seal with lip away from bearing(pack bearing and seal face with waterproof grease as well as the v-seal on axle. The bronze washer goes on axle chamferred side inboard
Thanks. That is what all my manuals show, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts