Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The project is to build a 97 tj from the ground up with my mid 80's gm dana 60s. I have a 97 TJ frame and the axles sitting in my Garage (I realize it may have been easier to buy a junked jeep and just swap the main components out but this is how I'm doing it). I understand that I am going to need some sort of conversion kit to install the 60's onto the frame. I know that the oil pan on the 4bt sits lower so I am going to need more clearance. I am going to have 37'' military tires which compared to the 33s I have now will raise the axle about 4 inches, this should give me a good base line to decide whether i want 4'' or 6'' of lift. the problem is I dont know much about suspensions which is where you guys come in. Where do I find this "conversion kit"? Is there a dealer that also sells the full suspension with this illustrious kit?

One of the problems I will run into the the significant weight increase in both the engine and the tires. A thought I had, would it be possible to get a GM lift kit and then turn to fab work to change the mounts on the frame? the truck springs would be more than capable of supporting the heavier engine and would stand a better chance in lasting with the bigger tires vs the TJ suspension parts. what do you guys think? possible? or too far out o the question? again i dont know a lot about suspensions to know if thats even possible.

Also I dont want leaf springs I'm not a fan of them I would prefer to have coils

thanks guys
James

·
Registered
950 Posts
Pirate4x4 is cool, but have a decent plan before posting :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts